Swing question: Supported platforms (newbie)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Richard, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Experience: Clueless newbie

    I'm not having much luck deciphering the 'supported platform' and
    'system requirements' pages on the Sun site regarding running Swing
    apps.

    I'm trying to figure out where I'll be able to run a Swing app, and
    what's got to be installed on the machine in order to run it.

    It'd be nice to run it on everything from Mac Classic and Win95 on up
    to current OSes, but from what I've read so far I've got better odds
    of winning the lottery than getting that to work.

    Anyway, a clear description or a link to one greatly appreciated.

    --
    Clark '04.

    Richard, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Swing is supported by a JDK (version 1.2, I think). As long as that JDK
    or above will run on Win 9X/NT/2000/2003, Mac OS 9/X, *NIX, AS400,
    etc... your Swing code will be portable.

    Richard wrote:
    > Experience: Clueless newbie
    >
    > I'm not having much luck deciphering the 'supported platform' and
    > 'system requirements' pages on the Sun site regarding running Swing
    > apps.
    >
    > I'm trying to figure out where I'll be able to run a Swing app, and
    > what's got to be installed on the machine in order to run it.
    >
    > It'd be nice to run it on everything from Mac Classic and Win95 on up
    > to current OSes, but from what I've read so far I've got better odds
    > of winning the lottery than getting that to work.
    >
    > Anyway, a clear description or a link to one greatly appreciated.

    Missaka Wijekoon (a.k.a. Misk)
    Sr. Software Engineer http://www.villageEdocs.com
    VillageEdocs

    Missaka Wijekoon, Oct 3, 2003

  3. "Missaka Wijekoon" <> wrote in message
    > Swing is supported by a JDK (version 1.2, I think). As long as that JDK
    > or above will run on Win 9X/NT/2000/2003, Mac OS 9/X, *NIX, AS400,
    > etc... your Swing code will be portable.

    How will Swing run on an AS400?

    Shane

    --
    hes

    remove clothes before replying

    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
    intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." --- Charles Darwin

    Shane Mingins, Oct 3, 2003