Swing stands for what?

Guy

We bought Install Shield 11.5 Java Edition and I have to program it. It
uses the Swing packages for the GUI elements and control, but I could
not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.

Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

Tx.

Paul Hamaker

Codename for a project, actually :
"Project Swing. The javax.swing package of classes is used to create
GUI components for applets and applications. Project Swing classes
enable programmers to specify a different look and feel for each
platform, or a uniform look across all platforms. Swing is the project
code name for the lightweight GUI components in Java Foundation Classes
(JFC)."
http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/programming/learn/unravelingjava.html

Daniel Dyer

We bought Install Shield 11.5 Java Edition and I have to program it. It
uses the Swing packages for the GUI elements and control, but I could
not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.

Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

I was going to respond with a witty acronymn, but it's beyond me, so I
guess I'll just have to give you the real answer:

http://blogs.sun.com/thejavatutorials/entry/why_is_swing_called_swing

Dan.

Luc The Perverse

Guy said:
Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS), applet, bean . . . none of the words
really mean anything, they were just jazzy

--LTP

:)

Andrew Thompson

Luc said:
Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS),

web-start has 'muffins' (do pretty much the same thing)
(their reasoning is that it goes with their 'Coffee' analogy,
though I usually hava a smoke with my coffee..)
...applet,

cigar -> cigarette
application -> applet.

I think that means that when lit and inhaled, applets
are better for you, than applications. ..or maybe it
just means they 'stink less' (shrugs).
..bean . . .

Again with the coffee..
...none of the words really mean anything,

No, and the coffee allusion was always rather silly, and
even more irritating in that Java is the proper name for
an island of Indonesia, as well as being slang for coffee.
(Personally, If I was from Java - I'd sue Sun for the damage
they had done to the local tourist industry)
..they were just jazzy

It would be nice to think that Swing relates to
Jazz (Dance, Trance & Be-Bop..), but Sun's own
images tend to suggest Swing/Merry-Go-Round/Seesaw.

I am not sure what that is supposed to mean about
people who develop Swing based GUI's.. (perhaps that
they are children who have been fed coffee?)

Andrew T.