    not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.

    Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

    Tx.

    Guy, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Guy

    Paul Hamaker Guest

    Codename for a project, actually :
    "Project Swing. The javax.swing package of classes is used to create
    GUI components for applets and applications. Project Swing classes
    enable programmers to specify a different look and feel for each
    platform, or a uniform look across all platforms. Swing is the project
    code name for the lightweight GUI components in Java Foundation Classes
    (JFC)."
    http://java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/new2java/programming/learn/unravelingjava.html
    --
    http://javalessons.com Paul Hamaker, SEMM
    Teaching ICT since 1987

    Paul Hamaker, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Guy

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:46:23 -0000, Guy <> wrote:

    > We bought Install Shield 11.5 Java Edition and I have to program it. It
    > uses the Swing packages for the GUI elements and control, but I could
    > not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.
    >
    > Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

    I was going to respond with a witty acronymn, but it's beyond me, so I
    guess I'll just have to give you the real answer:

    http://blogs.sun.com/thejavatutorials/entry/why_is_swing_called_swing

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java

    Daniel Dyer, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Guy

    Guy Guest

    Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

    Guy, Jan 11, 2007
  5. "Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

    Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS), applet, bean . . . none of the words
    really mean anything, they were just jazzy

    --LTP

    :)

    Luc The Perverse, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > "Guy" <> wrote in message
    > > Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

    > Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS),

    web-start has 'muffins' (do pretty much the same thing)
    (their reasoning is that it goes with their 'Coffee' analogy,
    though I usually hava a smoke with my coffee..)

    >...applet,

    cigar -> cigarette
    application -> applet.

    I think that means that when lit and inhaled, applets
    are better for you, than applications. ..or maybe it
    just means they 'stink less' (shrugs).

    >..bean . . .

    Again with the coffee..

    >...none of the words really mean anything,

    No, and the coffee allusion was always rather silly, and
    even more irritating in that Java is the proper name for
    an island of Indonesia, as well as being slang for coffee.
    (Personally, If I was from Java - I'd sue Sun for the damage
    they had done to the local tourist industry)

    >..they were just jazzy

    It would be nice to think that Swing relates to
    Jazz (Dance, Trance & Be-Bop..), but Sun's own
    images tend to suggest Swing/Merry-Go-Round/Seesaw.

    I am not sure what that is supposed to mean about
    people who develop Swing based GUI's.. (perhaps that
    they are children who have been fed coffee?)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 12, 2007