Swing

Discussion in 'Java' started by bob smith, Aug 13, 2012.

  1. bob smith

    bob smith Guest

    From: bob smith <>

    Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally
    been replaced by something better?

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    bob smith, Aug 13, 2012

  2. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: bob smith
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 8/13/2012 11:04 AM, bob smith wrote:
    > Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally

    been replaced by something better?

    Swing is the safe choice as it is mature and has been part of Java SE for about
    a decade.

    If you want more native look and feel and can live with only support on major
    desktop platforms then you can go for SWT.

    If you want a modern (*) GUI development platform and can live with only
    support on major desktop platforms then you can go for JavaFX.

    As JavaFX is planned to be part of Java SE 8, then if you are looking at long
    term, then JavaFX seems as something you need to look into.

    *) Newer does not guarantee better, but given that SUN/Oracle (JavaFX),
    Adobe (Flex) and MS (WPF & SL) all went for the model with XML markup and code,
    then maybe it is better!

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 13, 2012

  3. bob smith

    Roedy Green Guest

    To: bob smith
    From: Roedy Green <>

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:04:33 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
    who said :

    >Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally

    been replaced by something better?

    Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It does not
    integrate. So Swing is it for now.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products http://mindprod.com A new scientific truth
    does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light,

    Roedy Green, Aug 15, 2012
  4. bob smith

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    To: Roedy Green
    From: Jeff Higgins <>

    On 08/14/2012 08:47 PM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:04:33 -0700 (PDT), bob smith
    > who said :
    >
    >> Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it

    finally been replaced by something better?

    > Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
    > does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

    I've been spending some time exploring JavaFX. Will you please expand on your
    comment that [JavaFX] does not integrate?

    Jeff Higgins, Aug 15, 2012
  5. bob smith

    Qu0ll Guest

    To: Roedy Green
    From: "Qu0ll" <>

    "Roedy Green" wrote in message

    > Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
    > does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

    Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly? JavaFX is just another Java API, is
    now included as part of the JDK (as of 7 Update 6), interoperates seamlessly
    with Swing, works with all standard Java SE packages, works well with other
    JVM-based languages and has some very, very impressive features. If you want to
    develop new GUI apps with Java then JavaFX is a "no brainer" as they say in the
    states.

    Swing will hang around for a long time yet but is not being actively developed
    by Oracle anymore and good luck trying to get any bugs in it fixed. They are
    pouring an enormous amount of resources into JavaFX and rightly so - it's great
    technology.

    IMHO you'd be nuts to start a new project with Swing instead of FX.

    --
    And loving it,

    -Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)

    Qu0ll, Aug 16, 2012
  6. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: Qu0ll
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 8/16/2012 5:14 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Roedy Green" wrote in message
    >> Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
    >> does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

    > Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

    Roedy probably just made it up.

    You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

    > JavaFX is just another Java
    > API, is now included as part of the JDK (as of 7 Update 6),
    > interoperates seamlessly with Swing, works with all standard Java SE
    > packages, works well with other JVM-based languages and has some very,
    > very impressive features.

    JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

    > If you want to develop new GUI apps with Java
    > then JavaFX is a "no brainer" as they say in the states.
    >
    > Swing will hang around for a long time yet but is not being actively
    > developed by Oracle anymore and good luck trying to get any bugs in it
    > fixed. They are pouring an enormous amount of resources into JavaFX and
    > rightly so - it's great technology.
    >
    > IMHO you'd be nuts to start a new project with Swing instead of FX.

    JavaFX is certainly worth considering.

    But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not available
    yet.

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 18, 2012
  7. bob smith

    Qu0ll Guest

    To: Arne Vajhøj
    From: "Qu0ll" <>

    "Arne Vajhoj" wrote in message

    >> Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

    > Roedy probably just made it up.
    >
    > You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

    We you are probably right but it's just such a ridiculous comment as one of
    JavaFX's strongest selling points is its ability to integrate. Perhaps Roedy
    is thinking of the old JavaFX versions 1.x when it wasn't a Java API and relied
    on a proprietary new language named JavaFX Script. JavaFX 2.x is completely
    different and, as I said, integrates with anything JVM-based.

    > JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

    Yes, it is based on a completely new hardware accelerated graphics engine named
    Prism and new windowing toolkit named Glass. It is feature-rich and fast. The
    properties and binding framework on its own is worth the price of admission.
    The number of standard controls is growing constantly and includes a
    WebKit-based WebView control that supports HTML 5 and CSS 3 and JavaScript, a
    Canvas control similar to HTML 5 Canvas, video and audio playback controls, a
    vast array of charts, animations and transitions and a very good set of more
    common/basic widgets for form development. And if they aren't enough, there
    are several ways to roll your own. Features coming up in the next major
    release (which will be named JavaFX 8.0 as it is now aligned with JDK versions)
    include full 3D support.

    > JavaFX is certainly worth considering.
    >
    > But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not
    > available yet.

    As of Java 7 Update 6 JavaFX is now supported on Windows (at least Windows XP,
    Windows 2008, Windows 7), MacOS X and Linux and also runs on some ARM based
    systems like Raspberry Pi. In addition, Oracle is doing a significant amount
    of work on getting it to run on iOS and Android and have demonstrated it on
    these platforms several times in recent months. I am expecting an "official"
    announcement at this year's JavaOne regarding exactly where that development is
    up to. As far as I can tell they have resolved most of the technical issues by
    using Ahead Of Time compilation (so no JIT as executable memory is not
    supported on iOS or Metro for that matter) and the majority of the remaining
    work involves achieving good levels of performance and also in the development
    of the tools required to deploy a JavaFX app to those platforms. Personally, I
    find this all very exciting!

    Qu0ll, Aug 19, 2012
  8. bob smith

    markspace Guest

    To: Qu0ll
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 8/18/2012 9:55 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > (so no JIT as executable memory is not supported on iOS or
    > Metro for that matter)

    Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros floating
    around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for their new OS.

    markspace, Aug 19, 2012
  9. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: Qu0ll
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 8/19/2012 12:55 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > "Arne Vajhoj" wrote in message
    >
    >>> Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

    >> Roedy probably just made it up.
    >>
    >> You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

    > We you are probably right but it's just such a ridiculous comment as one
    > of JavaFX's strongest selling points is its ability to integrate.
    > Perhaps Roedy is thinking of the old JavaFX versions 1.x when it wasn't
    > a Java API and relied on a proprietary new language named JavaFX
    > Script. JavaFX 2.x is completely different and, as I said, integrates
    > with anything JVM-based.

    Even JavaFX 1.x could integrate with Swing and Java code.

    >> JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

    > Yes, it is based on a completely new hardware accelerated graphics
    > engine named Prism and new windowing toolkit named Glass. It is
    > feature-rich and fast. The properties and binding framework on its own
    > is worth the price of admission. The number of standard controls is
    > growing constantly and includes a WebKit-based WebView control that
    > supports HTML 5 and CSS 3 and JavaScript, a Canvas control similar to
    > HTML 5 Canvas, video and audio playback controls, a vast array of
    > charts, animations and transitions and a very good set of more
    > common/basic widgets for form development. And if they aren't enough,
    > there are several ways to roll your own. Features coming up in the next
    > major release (which will be named JavaFX 8.0 as it is now aligned with
    > JDK versions) include full 3D support.

    Do you work for Oracle JavaFX marketing?

    :) :) :)

    Well - it is newer and the split in FXML and Java code is very nice.

    To some extent it can be viewed as the equivalent of going from servlet to JSP
    to output HTML.

    >> JavaFX is certainly worth considering.
    >>
    >> But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not
    >> available yet.

    > As of Java 7 Update 6 JavaFX is now supported on Windows (at least
    > Windows XP, Windows 2008, Windows 7), MacOS X and Linux and also runs on
    > some ARM based systems like Raspberry Pi. In addition, Oracle is doing
    > a significant amount of work on getting it to run on iOS and Android and
    > have demonstrated it on these platforms several times in recent months.

    Yes.

    But there are still a few using other platforms.

    And a lot that is stuck on older Java versions.

    For various reasons.

    But I agree that if one has the choice then JavaFX should be preferred over
    Swing.

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 20, 2012
  10. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: markspace
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 8/19/2012 1:05 PM, markspace wrote:
    > On 8/18/2012 9:55 PM, Qu0ll wrote:
    >> (so no JIT as executable memory is not supported on iOS or
    >> Metro for that matter)

    > Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros
    > floating around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for
    > their new OS.

    I suspect he means WP8 not Win8.

    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 20, 2012
  11. bob smith

    markspace Guest

    To: Arne Vajhøj
    From: markspace <-@.>

    On 8/19/2012 1:04 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:

    > I suspect he means WP8 not Win8.

    OK, so again please excuse my acronym ignorance, but what is WP8? WordPerfect
    8?

    markspace, Aug 20, 2012
  12. bob smith

    Qu0ll Guest

    To: markspace
    From: "Qu0ll" <>

    "markspace" wrote in message news:k0r6di$4lm$...

    > Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros
    > floating around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for
    > their new OS.

    I meant the Windows 8 subsystem formerly known as Metro. It does not support
    executable memory along with other nice-to-haves like OpenGL.

    Whatever it is called now, it may work well and be suitable on mobile/tablet
    platforms but it is a total flop on the desktop IMHO.

    Qu0ll, Aug 20, 2012