Swing

bob smith

From: "bob smith" <bob.smith@1:261/38.remove-nlb-this>

From: bob smith <[email protected]>

Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally
been replaced by something better?

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

markspace

To: bob smith
From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-nlb-this>

To: bob smith
From: markspace <-@.>

Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it
finally been replaced by something better?

Swing is still your only real choice, as far as I know. JavaFX is up can
coming, but to quote Gertrude Stein, "there is no there there."

JavaFX appears to only be about half baked; you can do some things with it,
but not everything Swing can do. It's not really a mature platform yet. Still
worth knowing about for a Java developer, as Oracle could make it ready just
about any time now.

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Roedy Green

To: bob smith
From: "Roedy Green" <roedy.green@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: bob smith
From: Roedy Green <[email protected]>

Is Swing still pretty much the standard for Java graphics? Or has it finally
been replaced by something better?

Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It does not
integrate. So Swing is it for now.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products http://mindprod.com A new scientific truth
does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Jeff Higgins

To: Roedy Green
From: "Jeff Higgins" <jeff.higgins@1:261/38.remove-z1z-this>

To: Roedy Green
From: Jeff Higgins <[email protected]>

finally been replaced by something better?
Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.
I've been spending some time exploring JavaFX. Will you please expand on your
comment that [JavaFX] does not integrate?

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Qu0ll

To: Roedy Green
From: "Qu0ll" <qu0ll@1:261/38.remove-s96-this>

To: Roedy Green
From: "Qu0ll" <[email protected]>

"Roedy Green" wrote in message
Oracle is pushing JavaFX, but I don't think it will go anywhere. It
does not integrate. So Swing is it for now.

Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly? JavaFX is just another Java API, is
now included as part of the JDK (as of 7 Update 6), interoperates seamlessly
with Swing, works with all standard Java SE packages, works well with other
JVM-based languages and has some very, very impressive features. If you want to
develop new GUI apps with Java then JavaFX is a "no brainer" as they say in the
states.

Swing will hang around for a long time yet but is not being actively developed
by Oracle anymore and good luck trying to get any bugs in it fixed. They are
pouring an enormous amount of resources into JavaFX and rightly so - it's great
technology.

IMHO you'd be nuts to start a new project with Swing instead of FX.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

-+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
+ Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
-+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
* Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
--- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

Arne Vajhøj

To: Qu0ll
From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-rj6-this>

To: Qu0ll
From: Arne Vajhoj <[email protected]>

"Roedy Green" wrote in message

Doesn't integrate??? With what exactly?

Roedy probably just made it up.

You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.
JavaFX is just another Java
API, is now included as part of the JDK (as of 7 Update 6),
interoperates seamlessly with Swing, works with all standard Java SE
packages, works well with other JVM-based languages and has some very,
very impressive features.

JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.
If you want to develop new GUI apps with Java
then JavaFX is a "no brainer" as they say in the states.

Swing will hang around for a long time yet but is not being actively
developed by Oracle anymore and good luck trying to get any bugs in it
fixed. They are pouring an enormous amount of resources into JavaFX and
rightly so - it's great technology.

IMHO you'd be nuts to start a new project with Swing instead of FX.

JavaFX is certainly worth considering.

But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not available
yet.

Arne

To: Arne Vajhøj
From: "Qu0ll" <qu0ll@1:261/38.remove-v8v-this>

To: Arne Vajhoj
From: "Qu0ll" <[email protected]>

"Arne Vajhoj" wrote in message
Roedy probably just made it up.

You should not be surprised if you never get an an answer.

We you are probably right but it's just such a ridiculous comment as one of
JavaFX's strongest selling points is its ability to integrate. Perhaps Roedy
is thinking of the old JavaFX versions 1.x when it wasn't a Java API and relied
on a proprietary new language named JavaFX Script. JavaFX 2.x is completely
different and, as I said, integrates with anything JVM-based.
JavaFX is 10 years newer than Swing and it shows.

Yes, it is based on a completely new hardware accelerated graphics engine named
Prism and new windowing toolkit named Glass. It is feature-rich and fast. The
properties and binding framework on its own is worth the price of admission.
The number of standard controls is growing constantly and includes a
WebKit-based WebView control that supports HTML 5 and CSS 3 and JavaScript, a
Canvas control similar to HTML 5 Canvas, video and audio playback controls, a
vast array of charts, animations and transitions and a very good set of more
common/basic widgets for form development. And if they aren't enough, there
are several ways to roll your own. Features coming up in the next major
release (which will be named JavaFX 8.0 as it is now aligned with JDK versions)
include full 3D support.
JavaFX is certainly worth considering.

But one may have a need to support a platform where JavaFX is not
available yet.

As of Java 7 Update 6 JavaFX is now supported on Windows (at least Windows XP,
Windows 2008, Windows 7), MacOS X and Linux and also runs on some ARM based
systems like Raspberry Pi. In addition, Oracle is doing a significant amount
of work on getting it to run on iOS and Android and have demonstrated it on
these platforms several times in recent months. I am expecting an "official"
announcement at this year's JavaOne regarding exactly where that development is
up to. As far as I can tell they have resolved most of the technical issues by
using Ahead Of Time compilation (so no JIT as executable memory is not
supported on iOS or Metro for that matter) and the majority of the remaining
work involves achieving good levels of performance and also in the development
of the tools required to deploy a JavaFX app to those platforms. Personally, I
find this all very exciting!

--

To: Qu0ll
From: "markspace" <markspace@1:261/38.remove-v8v-this>

To: Qu0ll
From: markspace <-@.>

(so no JIT as executable memory is not supported on iOS or
Metro for that matter)

Just curious: Metro = Windows 8? Because there's a few other Metros floating
around, and Microsoft has officially dropped the name Metro for their new OS.