Switch Between Integreated Auth and FBA

-Steve-

I'm writing a web app that will be distributed and I want to allow the
installer to choose between using Integrated Authentication, or FBA.
Switching between those with web.config is obviously very easy. I'm trying
to decide how best to architect the database and code to accept either a
windows-sid or a UserID from the aspnetdb.

For example WSS 3.0 allows both windows integrated authentication, or FBA
using any membership provider. How do they handle that in their database
architecture? Are there any good guides on the web to provide some guidance?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

One easy way to do this is use the least popular as a fallback. Another
means of achieving it is to place the site in two locations (one accessible
from the Internet, the other not) and use the security applicable to the
zone. This is also the most secure, as you are not allowing Intranet users
to get in via the Internet.

-Steve-

Small clarification. I don't want to allow both Integreated Auth and FBA at
the same time, I want to allow the admin who installs the site to choose
either Integrated Auth or FBA.

The issue I run into is how to handle these kind of things, espically in the
database.

bruce barker

they use the factory pattern. the factory returns an interface, and looks in
the web.config (or other) to know what type of real object to create.

google factory pattern or test first design (which use the factory pattern)
to get better understanding.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

If you mean install time, you can alter the config at install. If that is
not an option, use a local.config file (you leave that file when you
update).

If you mean have it so the site can do both, I like Bruce's suggestion of a
factory pattern triggered by a config element. Another method is to set it
up using a provider model and having two branches. Simply add the version
that fits the site. This can be done at install time (if using install) or
you can ship the product differently if it is a copy and paste job (by ship,
I mean in general, as you may be the shipper).

Is that more inline with what you were looking at?