    rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    reference. Thanks
    Jeff, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Jeff

    El Kabong Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    Don't know about CSS but there are many ways to do it. This page includes a
    few using JavaScript slide shows:
    http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/

    El
    El Kabong, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:55:25 GMT
    Jeff scribed:

    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:

    http://www.neredbojias.com/

    ....and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random display, no
    repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in Gecko (because their
    javascript is demented.) Javascript.

    I disabled the ss on dial-up 'cause the images are high quality but not
    quite worth the prolonged loading-time.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator
    Neredbojias, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Jeff

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-07-19, Jeff <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    I have a simple example using JavaScript you are welcome to copy

    http://www.tidraso.co.uk/photos/k5zv6x84/

    Not tested on IE. The "Slide Show" button goes through the images at 5
    second intervals.
    Ben C, Jul 20, 2007
  5. Jeff

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jul 19, 4:55 pm, Jeff <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    Slide shows have been very popular over the years, and there have been
    a huge number of variations. You have been given a few examples by
    others. Go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/index.html to
    see about 18 other examples. These are free to copy and use so long as
    you leave credit in the code - the owner of the site can get a little
    testy if you remove credit and he finds out about it. Most have been
    updated to work on recent IE, Opera, and Mozilla family browsers such
    as Firefox. There are also demos of most so you can see if you like
    the effect.
    cwdjrxyz, Jul 20, 2007
  6. On Jul 19, 5:55 pm, Jeff <> wrote:
    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    Why without Flash? It would probably be the best solution, I know it
    would give you the most options.
    Travis Newbury, Jul 20, 2007
  7. Jeff

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    > flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    > cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    > rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    > appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    > reference. Thanks

    http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/script12slideshow.htm has proven
    to be quite popular, but as you know from the response of others there are
    no shortage of javascript slide shows.

    Flash probably is a better way of going, because it will work even if the
    visitor has JavaScript turned off. I'm currently working on a Flash
    equivalent to the above link, but its not yet ready for public release.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jul 20, 2007
  8. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > On Jul 19, 5:55 pm, Jeff <> wrote:
    >> Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    >> flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    >> cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    >> rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    >> appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    >> reference. Thanks

    > Why without Flash? It would probably be the best solution, I know it
    > would give you the most options.

    I can think of one good reason, not a pro and doesn't want to pony up
    the bucks for a apps to produce a flash animation for one application.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 20, 2007
  9. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:55:25 GMT
    > Jeff scribed:
    >
    >> Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
    >> flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
    >> cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
    >> rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
    >> appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    >> reference. Thanks

    > If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:
    >
    > http://www.neredbojias.com/
    >
    > ...and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random display, no
    > repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in Gecko (because their
    > javascript is demented.) Javascript.

    Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
    how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle it...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 20, 2007
  10. Jeff

    mbstevens Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > I can think of one good reason, not a pro and doesn't want to pony up
    > the bucks for a apps to produce a flash animation for one application.

    As to the "bucks," dilemma, there has been a sconce of relief in that
    direction: http://www.openlaszlo.org/

    These animations do not appear any faster downloading for the poor
    visitor than any other flash animation, however. For a plain slide show
    with pauses, I still prefer javascript backed up by a<noscript>
    alternative, if I cannot avoid a slide show altogether (thumbnails are
    better, usually). Flash is better saved for kids games and scientific
    illustrations of quantum mechanics and such.
    mbstevens, Jul 20, 2007
  11. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:06:27
    GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007
    >> 21:55:25 GMT Jeff scribed:
    >>
    >>> Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without
    >>> using flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd
    >>> like to to cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without
    >>> using rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so,
    >>> I'd appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
    >>> reference. Thanks

    >> If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:
    >>
    >> http://www.neredbojias.com/
    >>
    >> ...and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random
    >> display, no repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in
    >> Gecko (because their javascript is demented.) Javascript.

    > Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
    > how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle
    > it...

    Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
    version?

    The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

    Neredbojias, Jul 20, 2007
  12. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:46:39 GMT
    Neredbojias scribed:

    >> Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
    >> how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle
    >> it...

    > Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
    > version?

    Oh, okay, apparently you manually navigated to the ss page and are
    referring to that...? Yeah, I thought it was quite, um, desperate, too.

    Neredbojias, Jul 20, 2007
  13. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:06:27
    > GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007
    >>> 21:55:25 GMT Jeff scribed:

    >>> If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.neredbojias.com/
    >>>
    >>> ...and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random
    >>> display, no repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in
    >>> Gecko (because their javascript is demented.) Javascript.

    >> Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
    >> how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle
    >> it...

    > Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
    > version?

    Poorly worded vernacular. TRANS: How is your script marking images as
    'displayed' as it cycles through the list?

    > The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

    Yes I do not have broadband, just wanted to check your script. How are
    you testing my connection? Timing an image load then forking to direct
    different content?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 20, 2007
  14. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >> The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

    > Yes I do not have broadband, just wanted to check your script. How are
    > you testing my connection? Timing an image load then forking to direct
    > different content?

    Okay...got it, yes and yes. Just had to edit the cookie...hmm lets see...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 20, 2007
  15. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:34:54 GMT
    Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >> Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

    >> Yes I do not have broadband, just wanted to check your script. How are
    >> you testing my connection? Timing an image load then forking to direct
    >> different content?
    >>

    > Okay...got it, yes and yes. Just had to edit the cookie...hmm lets see...

    Er, watch what you do with my cookies...

    Yeah, image-timing. So far in all my, uh, "inexhaustive tests", no box has
    failed to distinguish between dialup and min cable speeds (~2mbps). Low-
    to-mid dsl probably is the back-breaker although I haven't been able to
    investigate it due to lack of resources (money and dsls).

    Re. your prev mess, the images are put in an array. The original array is
    cloned and the clone trimmed ("spliced", I believe,) as each image is
    displayed. At zero length, a new clone is made and the process repeats,
    though the choices are random each time.

    Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
    little, don't be so cheap!

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 20, 2007
  16. Neredbojias wrote:

    > Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
    > little, don't be so cheap!

    All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
    USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
    me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
    think it is more vapor-ware.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2007
  17. Jeff

    dorayme Guest

    In article <f3cd3$46a149e5$40cba7b3$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    > > Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
    > > little, don't be so cheap!
    > >

    > All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
    > USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
    > me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
    > think it is more vapor-ware.

    You can't get satellite?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jul 21, 2007
  18. Jeff

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:48:45 GMT
    Jonathan N. Little scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
    >> little, don't be so cheap!
    >>

    > All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
    > USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
    > me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
    > think it is more vapor-ware.

    Sounds like it.

    I resisted for a long time, too. The local cable company kept advertising
    packages and internet-only "deals" at $44.95 (~4mbps) and $59.95 (~7mbps).
    I wasn't willing to spend that much. Finally, I got another flyer and
    called them. The first thing the guy offered was for $29.95, not dsl, and
    I took it - didn't even want to hear the rest. Okay, so I can't watch dvd-
    quality porno clips on the net - big deal. 2mbps is a helluva lot better
    than 56kbps, and I am quite happy (-except with the banshee from Sydney.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 21, 2007
  19. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <f3cd3$46a149e5$40cba7b3$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
    >>> little, don't be so cheap!
    >>>

    >> All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
    >> USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
    >> me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
    >> think it is more vapor-ware.

    > You can't get satellite?

    Ooh yesssss! They've dropped the price form $849 setup to only $449!,
    plus $79 per month...a bit steep for a poor starving artist.
    Additionally is asynchronous downloading nice but upload not much better
    than my dialup. Number of friends have gotten it around here...uptime
    hasn't been too impressive.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2007
  20. Neredbojias wrote:

    > I resisted for a long time, too. The local cable company kept advertising
    > packages and internet-only "deals" at $44.95 (~4mbps) and $59.95 (~7mbps).
    > I wasn't willing to spend that much. Finally, I got another flyer and
    > called them. The first thing the guy offered was for $29.95, not dsl, and
    > I took it - didn't even want to hear the rest. Okay, so I can't watch dvd-
    > quality porno clips on the net - big deal. 2mbps is a helluva lot better
    > than 56kbps, and I am quite happy (-except with the banshee from Sydney.)

    No cable...too far out of civilization. Verizon barely manage to keep
    the phone lines working for voice, not DSL, no ISDN. Maybe carrier pigeon...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 21, 2007