Switch images at timed interval

Jeff

Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

El Kabong

Jeff said:
Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

Don't know about CSS but there are many ways to do it. This page includes a
few using JavaScript slide shows:
http://javascript.internet.com/image-effects/

El

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:55:25 GMT
Jeff scribed:
Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:

http://www.neredbojias.com/

....and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random display, no
repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in Gecko (because their
javascript is demented.) Javascript.

I disabled the ss on dial-up 'cause the images are high quality but not
quite worth the prolonged loading-time.

Ben C

Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

I have a simple example using JavaScript you are welcome to copy

http://www.tidraso.co.uk/photos/k5zv6x84/

Not tested on IE. The "Slide Show" button goes through the images at 5
second intervals.

cwdjrxyz

Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

Slide shows have been very popular over the years, and there have been
a huge number of variations. You have been given a few examples by
others. Go to http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/index.html to
see about 18 other examples. These are free to copy and use so long as
you leave credit in the code - the owner of the site can get a little
testy if you remove credit and he finds out about it. Most have been
updated to work on recent IE, Opera, and Mozilla family browsers such
as Firefox. There are also demos of most so you can see if you like
the effect.

Travis Newbury

Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

Why without Flash? It would probably be the best solution, I know it
would give you the most options.

Brian Cryer

Jeff said:
Is there a way to switch images at a specificed interval without using
flash? I have a page that has a photo in the center and I'd like to to
cycle through 10 other photos every 5 seconds (without using
rollovers). Can this be done with javascript or CSS? If so, I'd
appreciate it if someone had a page with instructions I could
reference. Thanks

http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/script12slideshow.htm has proven
to be quite popular, but as you know from the response of others there are
no shortage of javascript slide shows.

Flash probably is a better way of going, because it will work even if the
visitor has JavaScript turned off. I'm currently working on a Flash
equivalent to the above link, but its not yet ready for public release.

Jonathan N. Little

Travis said:
Why without Flash? It would probably be the best solution, I know it
would give you the most options.

I can think of one good reason, not a pro and doesn't want to pony up
the bucks for a apps to produce a flash animation for one application.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:55:25 GMT
Jeff scribed:

If you have a hi-speed connection, go to:

http://www.neredbojias.com/

...and check out the slideshow. Any number of images, random display, no
repeats per cycle. Image-completion check except in Gecko (because their
javascript is demented.) Javascript.

Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle it...

mbstevens

Jonathan said:
I can think of one good reason, not a pro and doesn't want to pony up
the bucks for a apps to produce a flash animation for one application.

As to the "bucks," dilemma, there has been a sconce of relief in that
direction: http://www.openlaszlo.org/

These animations do not appear any faster downloading for the poor
visitor than any other flash animation, however. For a plain slide show
with pauses, I still prefer javascript backed up by a<noscript>
alternative, if I cannot avoid a slide show altogether (thumbnails are
better, usually). Flash is better saved for kids games and scientific
illustrations of quantum mechanics and such.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:06:27
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
Where is this slideshow? Cannot find the link in your menu. Curious of
how your are ticking off displayed images that Gecko cannot handle
it...

Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
version?

The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:46:39 GMT
Neredbojias scribed:
Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
version?

Oh, okay, apparently you manually navigated to the ss page and are
referring to that...? Yeah, I thought it was quite, um, desperate, too.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:06:27
GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:

Huh? Don't follow that last line at all. Sure you're not on a cached
version?

Poorly worded vernacular. TRANS: How is your script marking images as
'displayed' as it cycles through the list?
The slideshow link won't show w/o j/s and hi-speed.

Yes I do not have broadband, just wanted to check your script. How are
you testing my connection? Timing an image load then forking to direct
different content?

Jonathan N. Little

Jonathan said:
Neredbojias wrote:

Yes I do not have broadband, just wanted to check your script. How are
you testing my connection? Timing an image load then forking to direct
different content?

Okay...got it, yes and yes. Just had to edit the cookie...hmm lets see...

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:34:54 GMT
Jonathan N. Little scribed:
Okay...got it, yes and yes. Just had to edit the cookie...hmm lets see...

Er, watch what you do with my cookies...

Yeah, image-timing. So far in all my, uh, "inexhaustive tests", no box has
failed to distinguish between dialup and min cable speeds (~2mbps). Low-
to-mid dsl probably is the back-breaker although I haven't been able to
investigate it due to lack of resources (money and dsls).

Re. your prev mess, the images are put in an array. The original array is
cloned and the clone trimmed ("spliced", I believe,) as each image is
displayed. At zero length, a new clone is made and the process repeats,
though the choices are random each time.

Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
little, don't be so cheap!

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
Btw, with all your money, how come you don't have broadband? Live a
little, don't be so cheap!

All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
think it is more vapor-ware.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
think it is more vapor-ware.

You can't get satellite?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:48:45 GMT
Jonathan N. Little scribed:
All my money! Hee hee. I wish I could, not an option here. This is the
USA we're 3rd-world when it comes to the the net. They have been teasing
me with PBL (Broadband over PowerLine) But after more that 3 years I
think it is more vapor-ware.

Sounds like it.

I resisted for a long time, too. The local cable company kept advertising
packages and internet-only "deals" at $44.95 (~4mbps) and $59.95 (~7mbps).
I wasn't willing to spend that much. Finally, I got another flyer and
called them. The first thing the guy offered was for $29.95, not dsl, and
I took it - didn't even want to hear the rest. Okay, so I can't watch dvd-
quality porno clips on the net - big deal. 2mbps is a helluva lot better
than 56kbps, and I am quite happy (-except with the banshee from Sydney.)

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
You can't get satellite?
Ooh yesssss! They've dropped the price form $849 setup to only $449!,
plus $79 per month...a bit steep for a poor starving artist.
Additionally is asynchronous downloading nice but upload not much better
than my dialup. Number of friends have gotten it around here...uptime
hasn't been too impressive.

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
I resisted for a long time, too. The local cable company kept advertising
packages and internet-only "deals" at $44.95 (~4mbps) and $59.95 (~7mbps).
I wasn't willing to spend that much. Finally, I got another flyer and
called them. The first thing the guy offered was for $29.95, not dsl, and
I took it - didn't even want to hear the rest. Okay, so I can't watch dvd-
quality porno clips on the net - big deal. 2mbps is a helluva lot better
than 56kbps, and I am quite happy (-except with the banshee from Sydney.)

No cable...too far out of civilization. Verizon barely manage to keep
the phone lines working for voice, not DSL, no ISDN. Maybe carrier pigeon...