Switching security models at runtime

Matt Morris

I've got an ASP.NET application in which I would like the ability to support
several different security models. Meaning, I want to be able to support
Windows, Forms or none depending on a user selection. Currently we support
this by having several different copies of web.config and we require the
user to rename the web.config file manually to switch among the different
models. My first thought was to simply offer some UI to the user to select
the model and then simply update the web.config using System.Xml. When I try
to write to web.config at runtime, an exception is thrown indicating the
file is locked, no doubt by the ASP.NET worker process. Thoughts on a good
approach to this?