Switching to IIS

Scott M.

What am I doing wrong? If I simply create a new ASP .NET Web Application
Project (WAP) on my local file system and then go into the project
properties and switch the web server over to IIS and click the "Create
Virtual Directory" button, the page will not run and will eror out.

I do have IIS installed and running and the Virtual Directory does get
created.

Scott M.

Yes, it is. IIS was installed and running prior to the VS installation.
Also, I can eventually get IIS to work if I go in to the site's properties
via the IIS manager and tweak out the security and default document
properties. But why doesn't VS take care of these things for me. By the
way, I have experienced this behavior on many different VS 2008 (and 2005)
installations.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Is ASP.NET registered with IIS?

Try running
aspnet_regiis -i
from the Visual Studio command prompt.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Scott M. said:
What am I doing wrong? If I simply create a new ASP .NET Web Application
Project (WAP) on my local file system and then go into the project
properties and switch the web server over to IIS and click the "Create
Virtual Directory" button, the page will not run and will eror out.

I do have IIS installed and running and the Virtual Directory does get
created.

Eliyahu Goldin

If you are running on Vista, you have to start VS in administrator mode to
be able to use IIS. Could it be the problem?

--

Scott M. said:
What am I doing wrong? If I simply create a new ASP .NET Web
Application Project (WAP) on my local file system and then go into the
project properties and switch the web server over to IIS and click the
"Create Virtual Directory" button, the page will not run and will eror
out.

I do have IIS installed and running and the Virtual Directory does get
created.

Scott M.

Nope. I am an admin on all my machines.

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Is ASP.NET registered with IIS?

Try running
aspnet_regiis -i
from the Visual Studio command prompt.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

What am I doing wrong? If I simply create a new ASP .NET Web
Application Project (WAP) on my local file system and then go into the
project properties and switch the web server over to IIS and click the
"Create Virtual Directory" button, the page will not run and will eror
out.

I do have IIS installed and running and the Virtual Directory does get
created.

Eliyahu Goldin

No, I mean you should run VS with elevated administrator permissions.
Right-click the VS shortcut and select "Run as Administrator".

--

Scott M. said:
Yes, it is. IIS was installed and running prior to the VS installation.
Also, I can eventually get IIS to work if I go in to the site's
properties via the IIS manager and tweak out the security and default
document properties. But why doesn't VS take care of these things for
me. By the way, I have experienced this behavior on many different VS
2008 (and 2005) installations.

message Is ASP.NET registered with IIS?

Try running
aspnet_regiis -i
from the Visual Studio command prompt.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
http://usableasp.net

What am I doing wrong? If I simply create a new ASP .NET Web
Application Project (WAP) on my local file system and then go into the
project properties and switch the web server over to IIS and click the
"Create Virtual Directory" button, the page will not run and will eror
out.

I do have IIS installed and running and the Virtual Directory does get
created.

Scott M.

I don't follow you, the shortcut has me (an admin) on it for security, so it
is already running with admin permissions.

-Scott

Eliyahu Goldin said:
[...]

Are you running on Vista? On Vista, you can run any program with either
normal or elevated privileges. Even if you are an administrator, in many
cases you need to start a program with elevated privileges to be able to use
some protected features.

--

Scott M. said:
Nope. I am an admin on all my machines.

message If you are running on Vista, you have to start VS in administrator mode
[...]

No XP Pro.