    problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    long-lost. Any suggestions?

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
    > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    > long-lost. Any suggestions?

    The only way I've found is to dual boot. If you find another way I would
    certainly be interested in it myself.

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Leif K-Brooks

    Kae Verens Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
    > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    > long-lost. Any suggestions?

    don't? nah - that's not good enough... I get enough flack from my
    co-workers for not using "what the clients use" (even if one of those
    co-workers doing the shouting uses IE5 for Mac...).

    try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
    handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
    designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
    developers (and help out when they're stuck).

    Kae

    Kae Verens, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Leif K-Brooks

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Leif K-Brooks said...

    http://www.netraverse.com/products/win4lin50/

    --
    24/September/2003 06:50:39 pm

    brucie, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Leif K-Brooks

    rf Guest

    "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not a
    > designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
    > developers (and help out when they're stuck).

    Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Leif K-Brooks

    m Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
    > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    > long-lost. Any suggestions?

    A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
    I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
    Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
    LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)

    m, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Kae Verens <> wrote in message news:<rNccb.33096$>...
    > try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
    > handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
    > designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
    > developers (and help out when they're stuck).

    Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Leif K-Brooks

    Roland Seuhs Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Kae Verens <> wrote in message
    >> try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
    >> handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
    >> designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
    >> developers (and help out when they're stuck).

    > Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

    In court and under oath, yes.

    In real life, IE is just another app like any other, I got it running under
    Crossover Office (costs 50$) and it should run under Wine, too.

    The only problem I had was that it couldn't display png files, other than
    that it worked OK.

    --
    The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him

    Roland Seuhs, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Leif K-Brooks

    Mark Nobles Guest

    In article <Tddcb.1712$>,
    <> wrote:

    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
    > > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    > > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    > > long-lost. Any suggestions?

    > A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
    > I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
    > Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
    > LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)

    Buy yourself a second HD and stick it in your box. You can get a 2 GB
    drive, big enough to hold even Windows, for $1 on eBay if that's all
    you need it for.

    Mark Nobles, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Leif K-Brooks

    Kae Verens Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "Kae Verens" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I'm not a
    >>designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
    >>developers (and help out when they're stuck).

    > Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

    yeah - me - deprive me of oxygen (got hayfever), and I'm a moron.

    I leave design problems to the designers, and point out the errors in
    their code when they're stuck.

    Kae

    Kae Verens, Sep 24, 2003
  11. While the city slept, Kae Verens <> feverishly
    typed:

    > I leave design problems to the designers, and point out the errors in
    > their code when they're stuck.

    So... what do you do for the other 0.1% of your working day??? ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    "How strange the change from major to minor..."

    nice.guy.nige, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Leif K-Brooks

    Art Sackett Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now.

    Good choice. I recommend Debian, if you're truly geeky or know someone
    who can help you get it running.

    > I have most of my
    > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE?

    Crossover Office, I hear, works well. I don't know from personal
    experience, but just this morning heard it from a guy who's currently
    evaluating it and says he's going to hand over the money. He says that
    IE runs flawlessly, as do all of the m$ office apps he's tried.

    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

    Art Sackett, Sep 24, 2003
  13. Mark Nobles <> wrote in message news:<240920030924302027%>...
    > Buy yourself a second HD and stick it in your box. You can get a 2 GB
    > drive, big enough to hold even Windows, for $1 on eBay if that's all
    > you need it for.

    Like I said, my Windows CD is lost, and I just can't afford to buy Windows again.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Leif K-Brooks

    Kae Verens Guest

    nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Kae Verens <> feverishly
    > typed:
    >>I leave design problems to the designers, and point out the errors in
    >>their code when they're stuck.

    > So... what do you do for the other 0.1% of your working day??? ;-)

    what other .1%?

    actually - I spend a lot of time trying to come up with ways of helping
    the designers to template their designs so I don't have to be bugged
    every time dynamic content stretches their design out of shape.

    Kae

    Kae Verens, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Leif K-Brooks

    jpb Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:07:36 -0700, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my problems
    > sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I could do a
    > dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is long-lost. Any
    > suggestions?

    I haven't used the Internet Exploder for years for testing.

    Html standards should run on any browser, usually it was M$ jscript and
    activeX that caused problems with outher OS's

    Could be wrong on that through

    I use bluefish as an editor and test with Opera

    Paul

    http://Canadian-dream.com

    jpb, Sep 25, 2003
  16. Greetings.

    In article <>, Leif K-Brooks
    wrote:
    > I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
    > problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
    > could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
    > long-lost. Any suggestions?

    Here are four:

    1) Use VMWare to run your Windows installation as a virtual machine. You
    can download a one-month evaluation version from VMWare's web page to try
    it out first; thereafter the price is something on the order of 299 USD.
    Note that while running a previously-installed Windows XP can be made to
    work, it's not officially supported. I, for one, wasn't able to get it to
    work (product activation issues, I think); my colleagues report no problems
    with Windows 2000, NT, 98, and 95.

    2) Use WINE, a free Windows emulator for Linux, to run IE. This may or may
    not work depending on a number of factors, but as it's the least expensive
    option, it's worth looking into.

    3) If you have a high-speed connection and access to a remote Unix system
    with IE installed, then ssh to it and run Explorer remotely. Note that the
    latest version of IE for Unix might not be available.

    4) Buy an extremely cheap, used Windows box and connect it to the internet
    or directly to your Linux box. (There are a variety of ways of doing
    this.)

    --
    _

    Tristan Miller, Sep 27, 2003
  17. Tristan Miller wrote:

    > 2) Use WINE, a free Windows emulator for Linux, to run IE. This may or may
    > not work depending on a number of factors, but as it's the least expensive
    > option, it's worth looking into.

    It can be made to work (although tricky) with IE5, although I've not heard
    of it working with IE5.

    > 3) If you have a high-speed connection and access to a remote Unix
    > system with IE installed, then ssh to it and run Explorer remotely.
    > Note that the latest version of IE for Unix might not be available.

    Was the last version of IE for Solaris 3 or was it 4?

    Either way it was bugged to hell. (For that authentic IE/Win eXPerience,
    no doubt!)

    As I see it the only real options are VMWare (or similar: Bochs, Plex86,
    Win4Lin) and VNC. I use the latter -- I VNC into the Exchange server at
    work!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 28, 2003