Switching to Linux...

Leif K-Brooks

I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

Andy Holmes

Leif said:
I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

The only way I've found is to dual boot. If you find another way I would
certainly be interested in it myself.

-Andy

Kae Verens

Leif said:
I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

don't? nah - that's not good enough... I get enough flack from my
co-workers for not using "what the clients use" (even if one of those
co-workers doing the shouting uses IE5 for Mac...).

try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
developers (and help out when they're stuck).

Kae

rf

I'm not a
designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
developers (and help out when they're stuck).

Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

Cheers
Richard.

Leif said:
I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)

Leif K-Brooks

Kae Verens said:
try using "wine" to run IE. it should be sufficiently advanced now to
handle it. I can't be bothered with IE, so I don't care - I'm not a
designer - I'm a developer. I leave the design problems to the
developers (and help out when they're stuck).
Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

Roland Seuhs

Leif said:
Doubt it, IE is built into the whole darn OS...

In court and under oath, yes.

In real life, IE is just another app like any other, I got it running under
Crossover Office (costs 50$) and it should run under Wine, too.

The only problem I had was that it couldn't display png files, other than
that it worked OK.

Mark Nobles

A lot of people seem to have success with Linux on dual boot disks, but
I never got the puppy stable until I let it have it's own playground.
Be sure to boot Linux from floppy or CD until you really understand
LILO! (It takes hardly more time to boot this way.)
Buy yourself a second HD and stick it in your box. You can get a 2 GB
drive, big enough to hold even Windows, for $1 on eBay if that's all
you need it for.

Kae Verens

rf said:
Er, isn't there an oxymoron in here somewhere?

yeah - me - deprive me of oxygen (got hayfever), and I'm a moron.

I leave design problems to the designers, and point out the errors in
their code when they're stuck.

Kae

Art Sackett

Leif K-Brooks said:
I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now.

Good choice. I recommend Debian, if you're truly geeky or know someone
who can help you get it running.
I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE?

Crossover Office, I hear, works well. I don't know from personal
experience, but just this morning heard it from a guy who's currently
evaluating it and says he's going to hand over the money. He says that
IE runs flawlessly, as do all of the m$ office apps he's tried.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

Leif K-Brooks

Mark Nobles said:
Buy yourself a second HD and stick it in your box. You can get a 2 GB
drive, big enough to hold even Windows, for $1 on eBay if that's all
you need it for.

Like I said, my Windows CD is lost, and I just can't afford to buy Windows again.

Kae Verens

nice.guy.nige said:
So... what do you do for the other 0.1% of your working day??? ;-)

what other .1%?

actually - I spend a lot of time trying to come up with ways of helping
the designers to template their designs so I don't have to be bugged
every time dynamic content stretches their design out of shape.

Kae

jpb

I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my problems
sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I could do a
dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is long-lost. Any
suggestions?

I haven't used the Internet Exploder for years for testing.

Html standards should run on any browser, usually it was M$ jscript and
activeX that caused problems with outher OS's

Could be wrong on that through

I use bluefish as an editor and test with Opera

Paul

http://Canadian-dream.com

Tristan Miller

Greetings.

Leif K-Brooks said:
I'm planning to switch to Linux any day now. I have most of my
problems sorted out, but I have one left: how do I test pages on IE? I
could do a dual boot, but my HD is small and my Windows disk is
long-lost. Any suggestions?

Here are four:

1) Use VMWare to run your Windows installation as a virtual machine. You
can download a one-month evaluation version from VMWare's web page to try
it out first; thereafter the price is something on the order of 299 USD.
Note that while running a previously-installed Windows XP can be made to
work, it's not officially supported. I, for one, wasn't able to get it to
work (product activation issues, I think); my colleagues report no problems
with Windows 2000, NT, 98, and 95.

2) Use WINE, a free Windows emulator for Linux, to run IE. This may or may
not work depending on a number of factors, but as it's the least expensive
option, it's worth looking into.

3) If you have a high-speed connection and access to a remote Unix system
with IE installed, then ssh to it and run Explorer remotely. Note that the
latest version of IE for Unix might not be available.

4) Buy an extremely cheap, used Windows box and connect it to the internet
or directly to your Linux box. (There are a variety of ways of doing
this.)

Toby A Inkster

Tristan said:
2) Use WINE, a free Windows emulator for Linux, to run IE. This may or may
not work depending on a number of factors, but as it's the least expensive
option, it's worth looking into.

It can be made to work (although tricky) with IE5, although I've not heard
of it working with IE5.
3) If you have a high-speed connection and access to a remote Unix
system with IE installed, then ssh to it and run Explorer remotely.
Note that the latest version of IE for Unix might not be available.

Was the last version of IE for Solaris 3 or was it 4?

Either way it was bugged to hell. (For that authentic IE/Win eXPerience,
no doubt!)

As I see it the only real options are VMWare (or similar: Bochs, Plex86,
Win4Lin) and VNC. I use the latter -- I VNC into the Exchange server at
work!