SWS 0.1

Robert Klemme

Marek Janukowicz said:
I'd like to announce first public release of SWS.

SWS is a web development library based on Apple WebObjects. It follows
strictly the MVC pattern and allows easy creation and maintaining of
complex web pages and applications.

Home page: http://www.starware.one.pl/software/sws/index.html
Download URL:
http://www.starware.one.pl/software/download/sws/sws-latest.tar.gz.

Neither from the web site nor from your posting it was clear to me whether
this is platform dependent or not. Could you please clarify? Thx.

Regards

robert

Marek Janukowicz

Neither from the web site nor from your posting it was clear to me whether
this is platform dependent or not. Could you please clarify? Thx.

I have only tested SWS on Linux, but I don't use any platform dependent
features, so it should work on other platforms. I'll add this
information to the docs - thanks for pointing this out.

gabriele renzi

il 24 Oct 2003 00:13:55 GMT, Marek Janukowicz
I'd like to announce first public release of SWS.

SWS is a web development library based on Apple WebObjects. It follows
strictly the MVC pattern and allows easy creation and maintaining of
complex web pages and applications.

I still had not looked at this library, but..
how does it compare with CGIKit ? I think even CGIKit is inspired to
WO..

Oh, and if I recall correct you were even working on a OO storage api
(I think it was SDS or something like this.. ) .. some info about it?

Marek Janukowicz

I still had not looked at this library, but..
how does it compare with CGIKit ? I think even CGIKit is inspired to
WO..

I used CGIKit only a bit (and quite a long time ago), so my information
can be a bit outdated. The most important difference is that SWS follows
WO more strictly than CGIKit:

- CGIKit apps run within web server (has the FCGI adaptor been
implemented?), SWS ones run standalone (I plan to create adaptors that
will allow connecting the app with the HTTP server like apache)
- CGIKit session are Hash-like, SWS session are regular objects
- CGIKit uses <cgikit> tags, SWS uses "sws" tag attributes (I think the
latter is better, because you can produce valid HTML)
- CKComponent bindings are regular instance variables, SWS::Component
slots are SWS::SLot class objects - this allows the slots to be much
more flexible (eg. you can define default value for the slot, or
define the slot as required)

Other than that the libs are quite similar. I plan to reimplement most
critical parts of SWS in C (when SWS API stabilizes) to improve the
speed significantly.

SWS advantage - database access library (SDS) - CGIKit has nothing like
this (of course you can you one of several third party libraries).

Of course I can be wrong at some points, so maybe Suzuki would like to
correct me :)