SWT compatibility

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steven J Sobol, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. I recently got tired of NetBeans' dog-slow performance and memory leaks
    (was able to deal with the performance by turning off some plugins I didn't
    need, but the memory leaks are horrendous and unacceptable for what is
    supposed to be a polished product). I've found Eclipse to be a great
    alternative and am looking at IBM's Standard Widget Toolkit as an
    alternative to Swing. IMHO the biggest win comes from using native OS
    widgets where possible. But that begs the question of which platforms the
    SWT runs on. I know it'll run on Windows and I'm using it right now on a
    Fedora Linux box, but I'd like to use something that will at least run on:

    --win32
    --Linux/x86
    --FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
    --Mac OS X
    --Earlier versions of Mac OS (9, at the very least, maybe 8)

    Does SWT run on (at least) those platforms?

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steven J Sobol, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Steven J Sobol

    Brion Vibber Guest

    Steven J Sobol wrote:
    > --win32
    > --Linux/x86
    > --FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
    > --Mac OS X
    > --Earlier versions of Mac OS (9, at the very least, maybe 8)
    >
    > Does SWT run on (at least) those platforms?

    SWT does not run on Mac OS 8/9. You'd also be limited to Java 1.1.8 there.

    -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

    Brion Vibber, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Brion Vibber <> wrote:

    > SWT does not run on Mac OS 8/9. You'd also be limited to Java 1.1.8 there.

    So it does run on Mac OS X, then? (If I can't run Java2, I don't want to
    even bother with 9 or 8...)

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steven J Sobol, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Steven J Sobol

    Brion Vibber Guest

    Steven J Sobol wrote:
    >>SWT does not run on Mac OS 8/9. You'd also be limited to Java 1.1.8 there.

    > So it does run on Mac OS X, then? (If I can't run Java2, I don't want to
    > even bother with 9 or 8...)

    Runs fine on Mac OS X, with some caveats. (Use 'java_swt' instead of
    'java' launcher; can't mix SWT with Swing/AWT due to duelling event loops.)

    If you haven't already, you should check the FAQ and documentation.
    www.eclipse.org is fiendishly difficult to navigate; the SWT stuff is
    hiding here:

    http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-swt-home/dev.html

    -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

    Brion Vibber, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Brion Vibber <> wrote:
    > Steven J Sobol wrote:
    >>>SWT does not run on Mac OS 8/9. You'd also be limited to Java 1.1.8 there.

    >> So it does run on Mac OS X, then? (If I can't run Java2, I don't want to
    >> even bother with 9 or 8...)

    > Runs fine on Mac OS X

    Thanks

    > If you haven't already, you should check the FAQ and documentation.

    I've found the SWT javadocs online and am using that reference in concert
    with Eclipse's online help. I think I'm getting along pretty well.

    Thanks to everyone who replied.

    Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / 888.480.4NET (4638) /

    Steven J Sobol, Jul 29, 2004