    Cheers

    --
    Nick H

    Nick Howes, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Nick Howes

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Nick Howes wrote:

    > I was seeing if I could get my website so that I can have simple
    > addresses to pages like http://www.something.com/cheese or /about, while
    > having the html files all in the same directory. You can do this by making a
    > symbolic link (for windows users, the unix version of a shortcut) at
    > /cheese/index.html or whatever, and that works. But what if the pages I want
    > to link to are based on GET variables, eg index.php?page=about or
    > index.php?page=cheese ? I don't think symlinks would work here. Any ideas?

    Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking for.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    >> I was seeing if I could get my website so that I can have simple
    >> addresses to pages like http://www.something.com/cheese or /about, while
    >> having the html files all in the same directory. You can do this by making a
    >> symbolic link

    > Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking for.

    Also into "Options +MultiViews".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003
  4. Nick Howes

    Nick Howes Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    > > I was seeing if I could get my website so that I can have simple
    > > addresses to pages like http://www.something.com/cheese or /about, while
    > > having the html files all in the same directory. You can do this by

    making a
    > > symbolic link (for windows users, the unix version of a shortcut) at
    > > /cheese/index.html or whatever, and that works. But what if the pages I

    want
    > > to link to are based on GET variables, eg index.php?page=about or
    > > index.php?page=cheese ? I don't think symlinks would work here. Any

    ideas?

    > Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking for.

    Aha. How much server access will I need to do this? Will I basically need to
    be running the server myself or is this at all possible using a hosted
    server to which I have SSH access?

    Thanks

    Nick Howes, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Nick Howes

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Nick Howes wrote:

    >> Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking
    >> for.

    > Aha. How much server access will I need to do this? Will I basically
    > need to be running the server myself or is this at all possible using a
    > hosted server to which I have SSH access?

    You need only the ability to use .htaccess files, nothing more, nothing
    less. Any paid host should allow you to use these, not so sure about free
    ones though...

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Nick Howes

    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    > >> Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking
    > >> for.

    > > Aha. How much server access will I need to do this? Will I basically
    > > need to be running the server myself or is this at all possible using a
    > > hosted server to which I have SSH access?

    > You need only the ability to use .htaccess files, nothing more, nothing
    > less. Any paid host should allow you to use these, not so sure about free
    > ones though...

    Great I'll read into it. Thanks guys.

    Nick Howes, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Nick Howes wrote:
    >
    >>> Read up on Apache Mod Rewrite. This does exactly what you are looking
    >>> for.

    >> Aha. How much server access will I need to do this? Will I basically
    >> need to be running the server myself or is this at all possible using a
    >> hosted server to which I have SSH access?

    > You need only the ability to use .htaccess files, nothing more, nothing
    > less. Any paid host should allow you to use these, not so sure about free
    > ones though...

    It also assumes though that mod_rewrite is installed. This is a fairly
    safe assumption though as it is more or less standard.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Nov 24, 2003