Symbols charset problem

Sid Ismail

: On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:27:27 +0100, "Alan J. Flavell"
:
: : On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Sid Ismail wrote:
: :
: : > OK - subject line should be "&spade not displayed as a spade"
: : >
: : > Is there anything I need to do/install on my PC to correct it?
: :
: : That may depend on the browser you were trying it with. If, as I
: : guess from your remarks, you're using MesSIE, I'd suggest going to its
: : fonts menu and setting (for the "Latin" writing system, paradoxical as
: : it may seem) the font "Lucida Sans Unicode", assuming that you already
: : have it installed by default.
: :
: : Take a note of what was selected there before, and tell us so that we
: : can all have a laugh...
: :
: : Test pages here: http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/unicode/
: : in your case particularly:
: : http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/unicode/unidata26.html
: :
: : Background information (probably more than you want!) here:
: : http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/browsers-fonts.html
: :
: : You might also consider upgrading to a decent *web* browser - SCNR.
:
:
: OK - found the problem. It is the Verdana font that I have installed
: that causes it. The website uses external CSS link files that have
: font-family:verdana, helvetica,... If I remove the stylesheet
: (verdana font), then it renders correctly using my default (Times
: Roman).
:
: I am now going to delete the Verdana I have (quirky) and re-installing
: it from http://simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/verdana.html. Maybe
: that'll solve my problem. Thanks all!

Installed a new Verdana - all is fine now! Was a problem getting a
free one on the WWW, but managed...

The old version of Verdna was quirky.

I will re-install Opera (had it but re-installed by PC).

Many many thanks all!

Sid

Jonathan N. Little

Philip said:
How odd...that HTML does *not* work for me using FF 1.5.0.4 under OS X
10.3.9. I still get horizontal and vertical bars instead of card suits.
I tried about a dozen different fonts (mainstream like Helvetica and
Palatino and some offbeat ones too) and got the same in every case, so I
get the feeling this is not a font issue.

May I ask for your FF version and platform?
Latest FF 1.5.0.4 and SM 1.0.2 on Win2K