Synchronizing ASP.NET Content Across WebFarm

Christopher D. Wiederspan

We are getting ready to move an ASP.NET application off of a single
development machine and onto a "webfarm". Basically our webfarm is a bunch
of identical servers with the load-balancing provided by a network
appliance. What I'm wondering is what is the best way to keep the ASP.NET
(.aspx and .dll) files synchronized across all of the servers in the farm.
Our ASP.NET application is very simple - we could just copy the content to
all of the servers in the farm, but with a large farm, it's fairly messy to
ensure that everything gets updated systematically.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Michael Pearson

You could look at Windows 2000 DFS replication to make this happen.
Also, be sure that if you are using forms authentication that you match the
machine.key in the web.config on both machines. If not, the user's token
will be rejected by the other webserver.

Michael

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Chris,

Thanks for Matt and Michael's suggestion.

Besides synchronizing the file contents of asp.net application in web farm, we also need to pay attention to synchronizing the
cache if you are using caching in asp.net

Please refer to http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20030420.asp for details.

For synchronizing server keys and sharing encryption key values across the Web farm, please refer to MSDN article
"Best Practices for Authentication for Web Farms"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/sysadmin/htm/cms_sa_au_user_pjnh.asp?frame=true

Hope them help.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang