Synplify VHDL & Tcl

Pierre-Louis

Dear all,
how may I pass generics values to a top level VHDL from a Tcl script with
Synplify??
I don't find the correct writing to add a generic option to the launch
command :" project -run "
Thanks in advance
Pierre-Louis

Jonathan Bromley

hi Pierre-Louis,

how may I pass generics values to a top level VHDL from
a Tcl script with Synplify??
I don't find the correct writing to add a generic option to
the launch command :" project -run "

Something like this.... (following the example we discussed
earlier):

# get the correct VHDL file into the project
add_file {date.vhd}
#
# compile it (syntax check etc)
project -run compile
#
# construct your specific value
set GenVal [hours_since_millennium]
#
# configure the generic
hdl_param -set ID_value $GenVal
#
# run the synthesis
project -run synthesis

I guess it's the [hdl_param] command you were looking for.
The help file is less than lucid on this stuff (thanks
a bunch, Synplicity!) and there appear to be options
to add these generics to the project file. Anyhow,
the script I've given above will do the job.

You can see this all happening if you look at the
Options/Configure_VHDL_Compiler menu.

Synplify Pro allows you to type commands at a Tcl
console; baseline Synplify requires you to build a
script file and then execute it from the Run menu.

HTH
--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: (e-mail address removed)

Pierre-Louis

Hi Jonathan,
A have written for you a (too much??) long post that I don't see on the
thread.
Sorry if I'm making a repetition.

Thank you again for your response.

But MY Synplify 7.2, or Amplify 4.2 does not recognize the command
"hdl_param ", and I don't see anything about it in the help ...
Are we speaking of the same software?? Where am I wrong??

Here is the script:

proc hours_since_millennium {} {
set now [clock seconds]
set millenium [clock scan 01/01/00]
set diff [expr ($now-$millenium)/3600]
puts "Hours since millenium: = [format 0x%04X $diff]"
return $diff
}

set GenVal [hours_since_millennium]
#
# configure the generic
hdl_param -set tag_value $GenVal
#
# run the synthesis

project -run compile

Here is the resulting tcl console:
% run_tcl -fg
H:/PUs/proto_carte/set_up/essais_inj_calc_capt/Fichiers_communs/script_compi
le.tcl
invalid command name "hdl_param"
running TCL script:
"H:/PUs/proto_carte/set_up/essais_inj_calc_capt/Fichiers_communs/script_comp
ile.tcl"
Hours since millenium: = 0x81CA

At line 12 while processing
"H:/PUs/proto_carte/set_up/essais_inj_calc_capt/Fichiers_communs/script_comp
ile.tcl"
invalid command name "hdl_param"
TCL script complete:
H:/PUs/proto_carte/set_up/essais_inj_calc_capt/Fichiers_communs/script_compi
le.tcl

Pierre-Louis Liotard

Jonathan Bromley

But MY Synplify 7.2, or Amplify 4.2 does not recognize the command
"hdl_param ", and I don't see anything about it in the help ...
Are we speaking of the same software?? Where am I wrong??

I'm using version 7.3. It supports [hdl_param].

Someone else has said that it only works with "the latest version".
So perhaps it was introduced in 7.3. I'm sorry if I wasted your
time.
--

Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: (e-mail address removed)

Pierre-Louis

Thanks a lot .
I have downloaded the Synplify 7.3.3 version.
As I can see, your script works fine now.
Here is the response to a void hdl_param command.

% hdl_param
usage: hdl_param -add <name> -- add parameter to project to make
available for parameter override
hdl_param -list -- list available parameters for
project
hdl_param -set <name> <value> -- set parameter override on active
implementation
hdl_param -clear -- clear all parameter overrides on
active implementation
hdl_param -overrides -- list parameter override values

Thanks again, Jonathan

Pierre-Louis Liotard

Allan Herriman

But MY Synplify 7.2, or Amplify 4.2 does not recognize the command
"hdl_param ", and I don't see anything about it in the help ...
Are we speaking of the same software?? Where am I wrong??

I'm using version 7.3. It supports [hdl_param].

Someone else has said that it only works with "the latest version".
So perhaps it was introduced in 7.3. I'm sorry if I wasted your
time.

Yes, I first saw this in 7.3 beta 2.

Regards,
Allan.