syntax for linking to a newsgroup article

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Brian Cryer, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
    article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
    more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).

    I know how to link to a newsgroup:

    a href="news:some-newsgroup

    I also know how to specify the server:

    a href="news://some-server/some-newsgroup

    is it also possible to specify the article id/reference that I'm interested
    in? I came across one reference that indicated it might be possible, but
    with no details. If its not possible then that would be useful to know,
    because I won't search any further.

    Thanks in advance.

    Brian Cryer, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Brian Cryer

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
    finally proclaimed:

    > What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
    > article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
    > more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).

    Totally ignoring the rest of your post, have you thought of linking to
    the articles as they are presented at Google Groups? Toby Inkster set up
    a nice site for doing just that (http://message-id.net/) where you can
    link directly to articles by their ID.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
    > finally proclaimed:
    >
    >> What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
    >> article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
    >> more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).

    > Totally ignoring the rest of your post, have you thought of linking to
    > the articles as they are presented at Google Groups? Toby Inkster set up
    > a nice site for doing just that (http://message-id.net/) where you can
    > link directly to articles by their ID.
    >
    > --
    > Dylan Parry
    > http://webpageworkshop.co.uk -- FREE Web tutorials and references

    Hi Dylan,

    Thanks for the idea. That's certainly quite clever of Toby.

    What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
    article and have it open in their newsreader.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Brian Cryer

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
    > What I would like to be able to do is to link to a specific newsgroup
    > article (ok, I know that articles may not be held a newsgroup server for
    > more than a couple of weeks depending on the newsgroup).
    >
    > I know how to link to a newsgroup:
    >
    > a href="news:some-newsgroup
    >
    > I also know how to specify the server:
    >
    > a href="news://some-server/some-newsgroup
    >
    > is it also possible to specify the article id/reference that I'm
    > interested in? I came across one reference that indicated it might be
    > possible, but with no details. If its not possible then that would be
    > useful to know, because I won't search any further.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I've found it - RFC 1036. Not quite what I was hoping for.

    but this won't open the newsreader, it just opens the message (presumably
    using the default news account) and allows you to reply to the sender not
    the group - or at least that's the behaviour I've just observed on Windows.

    So much for my hope of clicking on a link to open a newsgroup reader at a
    specific article ... Dylan, your suggestion of using Toby's site and Google
    groups may be the only way of doing it.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Brian Cryer

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
    finally proclaimed:

    > What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
    > article and have it open in their newsreader.

    The problem with that scenario is that it relies upon the user actually
    /having/ a newsreader that is configured correctly, and a browser that
    handles the URL correctly. It's a bit like trying to use mailto: ;)

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Mar 2, 2006
  6. Brian Cryer

    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Brian Cryer
    > finally proclaimed:
    >
    >> What I'd really like though is to be able to direct someone to a (recent)
    >> article and have it open in their newsreader.

    > The problem with that scenario is that it relies upon the user actually
    > /having/ a newsreader that is configured correctly, and a browser that
    > handles the URL correctly. It's a bit like trying to use mailto: ;)

    Very true. I concede, your suggestion is probably the only way to go.

    Thanks.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian