Syntax Help - ASP.NET & javascript

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike, Mar 9, 2008.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi. I have a unique problem. I have some HTML which displays correctly when
    I input it into an aspx page or html page. But when I use javascript's
    document.write() to write the html directly to the page, I get a script
    error. The nature of the program requires me to use document.write() instead
    of simply typing html directly.

    The html is pretty simple - It's just a table. I've uploaded the page below
    so you can see it...
    www.masonsolutions.net/testing/page.html

    As you can see, it looks fine here as regular HTML. But when I use
    document.write() I get a script error saying "Syntax Error Expected ')'".

    Could someone please let me know why this script error occurs when I use
    document.write? This is an asp.net project, and I know someone here can
    provide an answer, which is why I've posted here; please let me know if I
    should post elsewhere.

    Thanks!

    Mike, Mar 9, 2008

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > As you can see, it looks fine here as regular HTML. But when I use
    > document.write() I get a script error saying "Syntax Error Expected ')'".
    >
    > Could someone please let me know why this script error occurs when I use
    > document.write?

    Well, at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, it occurs because
    you've missed a closing bracket somewhere...

    Do a View Source and inspect the generated JavaScript...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 9, 2008

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I've already done so, and there are no missing brackets.

    Mike, Mar 9, 2008
  4. "Mike" <> wrote in message

    >> > As you can see, it looks fine here as regular HTML. But when I use
    >> > document.write() I get a script error saying "Syntax Error Expected
    >> > ')'".
    >> >
    >> > Could someone please let me know why this script error occurs when I
    >> > use
    >> > document.write?

    >> Well, at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, it occurs because
    >> you've missed a closing bracket somewhere...
    >>
    >> Do a View Source and inspect the generated JavaScript...

    > I've already done so, and there are no missing brackets.

    If you're absolutely certain about that, I would suggest building up the
    JavaScript a bit at a time until you find the line with the missing
    bracket... It may not be where you think it is...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Mar 9, 2008
  5. There is an HTML-->Javascript converter form on this article page:

    Paste your HTML into the top textarea, press the button, get correct
    Javascript in the bottom. View source on the page to get the code to make
    your own.

    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Mar 10, 2008
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm not infront of my development machine now, but this looks promising and I
    wanted to say thank you for pointing me here. I can't wait to try it!

    Mike, Mar 10, 2008