    much easier. Even something as simple as a different color for control
    characters vs literals. Is there an editor which does that?

    Daniel

    Daniel DeLorme, Jan 13, 2008

    You can check out The Regex Coach [1] on Windows to help develop regular
    expressions although it will not do syntax highlighting in your editor.

    Dan

    [1] http://www.weitz.de/regex-coach/

    Daniel Finnie, Jan 13, 2008

  3. Daniel DeLorme

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jan 12, 2008, at 21:12 , Daniel DeLorme wrote:

    > We all now regular expressions can be difficult to read

    Well... I find your English harder to read than my regexps. :p

    Ryan Davis, Jan 13, 2008
  4. On 13.01.2008 06:12, Daniel DeLorme wrote:
    > We all now regular expressions can be difficult to read, but it seems to
    > me like good syntax highlighting *within* a regexp would make the task
    > much easier. Even something as simple as a different color for control
    > characters vs literals. Is there an editor which does that?

    I do not know one off the top of my head but various editors allow to
    jump to matching brackets or highlight the expression between two
    matching brackets. There is also option /x which allows for nice
    regular expression formatting (including comments).

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Jan 13, 2008
  5. Daniel DeLorme

    mdiam Guest

    On Jan 13, 6:12 am, Daniel DeLorme <> wrote:
    > We all now regular expressions can be difficult to read, but it seems to
    > me like good syntax highlighting *within* a regexp would make the task
    > much easier. Even something as simple as a different color for control
    > characters vs literals. Is there an editor which does that?
    >
    > Daniel

    tkregexp : A Tcl Tk is available by Laurent Riesterer (salut
    Laurent !) :
    http://laurent.riesterer.free.fr/regexp/
    There is little difference between advanced tcl versus ruby regexp
    syntaxe, so perhaps is a good candidate for a TkRuby application
    exemple ?

    PS. for those interested, there is a discution on the list:

    -- Maurice

    mdiam, Jan 13, 2008
  6. On Jan 12, 2008, at 9:12 PM, Daniel DeLorme wrote:

    > We all now regular expressions can be difficult to read, but it
    > seems to me like good syntax highlighting *within* a regexp would
    > make the task much easier. Even something as simple as a different
    > color for control characters vs literals. Is there an editor which
    > does that?
    >
    > Daniel

    Daniel-

    This is not exactly a regex syntax highlighter but it is one of the
    coolest regex tools I'v ever seen. It's an animated state machine
    chart based on regexes you paste in and you can see the state machine
    animate as it matches your string:

    http://osteele.com/tools/reanimator/

    Cheers-

    - Ezra Zygmuntowicz