Syntax highlighting in perl debugger

Mark Shaw

How does one turn OFF the syntax highlighting in the perl
debugger?

I'm running 5.8.0 under linux.

Thanks!

Sherm Pendley

Mark Shaw said:
I find it hard to believe that nobody knows the answer to
this one....

I don't. There are many debuggers one can use with Perl. Some of them use a
graphical interface, some of them run in a console, some support color syntax
highlighting, some don't.

If you're using a GUI app, have a look around its preferences panel. If it has
a web site, have a look around there for a manual and/or FAQ.

sherm--

Mark Shaw

Sherm Pendley said:
[...]

If you're using a GUI app, have a look around its preferences panel. If it has
a web site, have a look around there for a manual and/or FAQ.

It's the debugger that comes with the standard library, running
in an xterm.

Sherm Pendley

Mark Shaw said:
It's the debugger that comes with the standard library, running
in an xterm.

Well, the immediate question then is how did you turn *ON* syntax high-
lighting? Nothing in "perldoc perldebug" mentions that the built-in
debugger can do that, much less how to enable it. None of the variables
displayed with "o" look relevant to that.

Are you using the standard vanilla xterm, or the GNOME, KDE, or some other
terminal app? Are you certain it's not your terminal app that's doing the
highlighting?

sherm--

Paul Lalli

Sherm said:
Well, the immediate question then is how did you turn *ON* syntax high-
lighting? Nothing in "perldoc perldebug" mentions that the built-in
debugger can do that, much less how to enable it. None of the variables
displayed with "o" look relevant to that.

Are you using the standard vanilla xterm, or the GNOME, KDE, or some other
terminal app? Are you certain it's not your terminal app that's doing the
highlighting?
From perldoc perldebug:
If you have the FSF's version of emacs installed on your system, it
can
interact with the Perl debugger to provide an integrated software
development environment reminiscent of its interactions with C
debuggers.

Perl comes with a start file for making emacs act like a
syntax-directed
editor that understands (some of) Perl's syntax. Look in the emacs
directory of the Perl source distribution.

Is it possible that the OP is actually seeing emacs' perl-mode when
he's using the debugger? I don't have this sort of thing in my
environment, so it's difficult for me to test, and even more difficult
for me to find a solution.

Basically, this is my shot in the dark.

Paul Lalli

Mark Shaw

Well, the immediate question then is how did you turn *ON* syntax high-
lighting?

I didn't. It seems to have come that way, at least in the Red
Hat distro.
Nothing in "perldoc perldebug" mentions that the built-in
debugger can do that, much less how to enable it. None of the variables
displayed with "o" look relevant to that.

Yes, I'm reasonably certain it's not native in the debugger
itself. I thought that someone here might have run into this
and would know where the syntax highlighting was coming from.

The 'man' command also has syntax highlighting, which I'd also
dearly love to turn off. As do 'vi' (actually vim) and 'ls',
but I've already figured those out.

I can see this having some utility in a text editor for certain
types of coding, but otherwise I think it's an abomination -
and I'm fairly ticked off that it's not obvious how to defeat
it.
Are you using the standard vanilla xterm, or the GNOME, KDE, or some other
terminal app? Are you certain it's not your terminal app that's doing the
highlighting?

It's xterm. The only thing I do differently is set a background
and text color (black and yellow, respectively) that I find easy
to work with.

Here's my command line:

xterm -bg black -fg yellow -title !* &

Mark Shaw

Paul Lalli said:
Is it possible that the OP is actually seeing emacs' perl-mode when
he's using the debugger? I don't have this sort of thing in my
environment, so it's difficult for me to test, and even more difficult
for me to find a solution.

All I can tell you is that when I'm in the debugger, it's
absolutely nothing like emacs. It's, well, the perl debugger.
It acts on this machine exactly like it's acted on every other
machine I've ever used it on.
Basically, this is my shot in the dark.

Thanks, though.

Sherm Pendley

Mark Shaw said:
Yes, I'm reasonably certain it's not native in the debugger
itself. I thought that someone here might have run into this
and would know where the syntax highlighting was coming from.

The 'man' command also has syntax highlighting, which I'd also
dearly love to turn off. As do 'vi' (actually vim) and 'ls',
but I've already figured those out.

Beats me then. :-(

I'd try using a different terminal emulator - especially as it seems you
aren't too happy with xterm for a number of different apps. There's no
shortage of alternatives, certainly.

sherm--