Syntax highligth with textile: Syntax+RedCloth ?

gabriele renzi

Hi gurus and nubys,

I was trying to mix RedCloth[1] with Syntax[2] and I'm
facing some small problems.
The idea is to forward parsing of <pre> tags to the HTML convertor
withouth touching the rest of the code.
I thought that I could subclass RedCloth and override #smooth_offtags
which seem quite nice since the starting <pre> tag is carried till that
point, which could allow, for example, parsing of something like
<pre lang="ruby">.

The problem is in the fact that RC escapes html entities before this
step, and thus when I call #convert on the string Syntax will tokenize
them and give back bad html.

Has someone ever faced this before and has an alternate solution?

thanks in advance.

[1]http://redcloth.rubyforge.org/
[2]http://syntax.rubyforge.org

Ross Bamford

Hi gurus and nubys,

I was trying to mix RedCloth[1] with Syntax[2] and I'm
facing some small problems.
The idea is to forward parsing of <pre> tags to the HTML convertor
withouth touching the rest of the code.
I thought that I could subclass RedCloth and override #smooth_offtags
which seem quite nice since the starting <pre> tag is carried till that
point, which could allow, for example, parsing of something like
<pre lang="ruby">.

The problem is in the fact that RC escapes html entities before this
step, and thus when I call #convert on the string Syntax will tokenize
them and give back bad html.

Has someone ever faced this before and has an alternate solution?

Yup, don't it just suck? In the end we introduced a 'macro' concept by
which we could exempt sections of code from formatting filters.

Have a browse around here:

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rote/lib/rote/?root=rote

Particularly inside 'page.rb' and the 'filters' directory, which has
various filters including syntax and redcloth.

gabriele renzi

Ross Bamford ha scritto:
Hi gurus and nubys,

I was trying to mix RedCloth[1] with Syntax[2] and I'm
facing some small problems.
The idea is to forward parsing of <pre> tags to the HTML convertor
withouth touching the rest of the code.
I thought that I could subclass RedCloth and override #smooth_offtags
which seem quite nice since the starting <pre> tag is carried till
that point, which could allow, for example, parsing of something like
<pre lang="ruby">.

The problem is in the fact that RC escapes html entities before this
step, and thus when I call #convert on the string Syntax will
tokenize them and give back bad html.

Has someone ever faced this before and has an alternate solution?

Yup, don't it just suck? In the end we introduced a 'macro' concept by
which we could exempt sections of code from formatting filters.

yeah, I was leaning to the same solution, even if I still want to try
out redefining to_html with something like
def to_html
expand pre tags
super
end
Have a browse around here:

http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rote/lib/rote/?root=rote

Particularly inside 'page.rb' and the 'filters' directory, which has
various filters including syntax and redcloth.

great thanks