syntax problem (vb) data connection

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by slinky, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I'm making a OLE DB connection in code and was wondering if anyone
    could identify what the syntax errors I have. I've tried countless
    combinations and all give errors.

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
    Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    Thanks!!

    Below is my complete code:

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.OleDb
    Public Class Default5
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
    Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    If Not IsPostBack Then
    Dim cmdSelect As OleDbCommand = _
    cnn.CreateCommand()
    cmdSelect.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    cmdSelect.CommandText = _
    "SELECT ([Asset Number], Description, [Serial Number], Mfg,
    AssetType,
    RDCnumber) FROM Assets"
    Dim cmdInsert As OleDbCommand = _
    cnn.CreateCommand()
    cmdInsert.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    cmdInsert.CommandText = _
    "INSERT INTO Assets " & _
    "([Asset Number], Description, [Serial Number], Mfg, AssetType,
    RDCnumber) " & _
    "VALUES(@AssetNumber, @Description, @Serial_Number, @Mfg, @AssetType,
    @RDCnumber"
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAsset_Number",
    OleDbType.Double, 12, "[Asset Number]")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtDescription",
    OleDbType.WChar, 40, "Description")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtSerial_Number",
    OleDbType.WChar, 30, "[Serial Number]")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtMfg", OleDbType.WChar, 30,
    "Mfg")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAssetType",
    OleDbType.WChar,
    30, "AssetType")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtRDCNumber",
    OleDbType.WChar,
    30, "RDCnumber")
    Dim SourceVersion As DataRowVersion
    SourceVersion = DataRowVersion.Original
    da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
    ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
    Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()
    dr(0) = txtAsset_Number.Text
    dr(1) = txtDescription.Text
    dr(2) = txtSerial_Number.Text
    dr(3) = txtMfg.Text
    dr(4) = txtAssetType.Text
    dr(5) = txtRDCnumber.Text
    ds.Tables("Assets").Rows.Add(dr)
    da.Update(ds, "Assets")
    End Sub
    End Class
    slinky, Aug 10, 2007

  2. On Aug 10, 2:50 pm, slinky <> wrote:
> [...]
    > cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtRDCNumber",
    > OleDbType.WChar,
    > 30, "RDCnumber")
    > Dim SourceVersion As DataRowVersion
    > SourceVersion = DataRowVersion.Original
    > da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    > da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    > da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    > End If
    > End Sub
    > Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
    > ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    > ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    > Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
    > Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    > Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    > Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    > Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()

    A quotation mark is missing at the first line

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data (HERE) &
    _
    Alexey Smirnov, Aug 10, 2007

  3. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I used this:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data" &
    _
    Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    But now the bottom line lists syntax errors: "Initial
    Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI"

    Plus the "~" is still being listed as a Not Valid Character.

    slinky, Aug 10, 2007
  4. On Aug 10, 4:56 pm, slinky <> wrote:
    > I used this:
    >
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data" &
    > _
    > Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    >
    > But now the bottom line lists syntax errors: "Initial
    > Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI"
    >
    > Plus the "~" is still being listed as a Not Valid Character.

    Ignore extra breaks that google groups does in the code

    Go to your original message and add just one (") at the end of the
    first line

    A long string in VB must be concatenated with & and _

    For example:

    "........." & "........." & _
    ".........." _
    & "......"
    Alexey Smirnov, Aug 10, 2007
  5. slinky

    slinky Guest

    Thanks Alexey.. that got rid of all the errors in the .aspx.vb file,
    but when I launch the .aspx file in the browser I get this error as
    before with line 34 of the .aspx.vb highlighted in red as the
    problem: Line 34: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB
    status value, if available. No work was done.

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Multiple-step OLE
    DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if
    available. No work was done.

    Source Error:

    Line 32: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    Line 33: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    Line 34: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    Line 35: End If
    Line 36: End Sub

    Source File: E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb
    Line: 34

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated
    errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was
    done.]

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbServicesWrapper.GetDataSource(OleDbConnectionString
    constr, DataSourceWrapper& datasrcWrapper) +209

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString
    constr, OleDbConnection connection) +118

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
    DbConnection owningObject) +53

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +47

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +37
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset,
    DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String
    srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +121
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32
    startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
    CommandBehavior behavior) +137
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String
    srcTable) +83
    Default5.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\kunden
    \homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb:34
    +1061

    slinky, Aug 10, 2007