syntax problem (vb) data connection

slinky

I'm making a OLE DB connection in code and was wondering if anyone
could identify what the syntax errors I have. I've tried countless
combinations and all give errors.

New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

Thanks!!

Below is my complete code:

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Data.OleDb
Public Class Default5
Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
If Not IsPostBack Then
Dim cmdSelect As OleDbCommand = _
cnn.CreateCommand()
cmdSelect.CommandType = CommandType.Text
cmdSelect.CommandText = _
"SELECT ([Asset Number], Description, [Serial Number], Mfg,
AssetType,
RDCnumber) FROM Assets"
Dim cmdInsert As OleDbCommand = _
cnn.CreateCommand()
cmdInsert.CommandType = CommandType.Text
cmdInsert.CommandText = _
"INSERT INTO Assets " & _
"([Asset Number], Description, [Serial Number], Mfg, AssetType,
RDCnumber) " & _
"VALUES(@AssetNumber, @Description, @Serial_Number, @Mfg, @AssetType,
@RDCnumber"
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAsset_Number",
OleDbType.Double, 12, "[Asset Number]")
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtDescription",
OleDbType.WChar, 40, "Description")
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtSerial_Number",
OleDbType.WChar, 30, "[Serial Number]")
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtMfg", OleDbType.WChar, 30,
"Mfg")
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAssetType",
OleDbType.WChar,
30, "AssetType")
cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtRDCNumber",
OleDbType.WChar,
30, "RDCnumber")
Dim SourceVersion As DataRowVersion
SourceVersion = DataRowVersion.Original
da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
End If
End Sub
Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data & _
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()
dr(0) = txtAsset_Number.Text
dr(1) = txtDescription.Text
dr(2) = txtSerial_Number.Text
dr(3) = txtMfg.Text
dr(4) = txtAssetType.Text
dr(5) = txtRDCnumber.Text
ds.Tables("Assets").Rows.Add(dr)
da.Update(ds, "Assets")
End Sub
End Class

Guest

[...]

A quotation mark is missing at the first line

New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data (HERE) &
_
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

slinky

I used this:

New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data" &
_
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

But now the bottom line lists syntax errors: "Initial
Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI"

Plus the "~" is still being listed as a Not Valid Character.

[...]

"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")- Hide quoted text -

Guest

I used this:

New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data" &
_
Source=" & Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb") & ";" & _
"Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

But now the bottom line lists syntax errors: "Initial
Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI"

Plus the "~" is still being listed as a Not Valid Character.

Ignore extra breaks that google groups does in the code

Go to your original message and add just one (") at the end of the
first line

A long string in VB must be concatenated with & and _

For example:

"........." & "........." & _
".........." _
& "......"

slinky

Thanks Alexey.. that got rid of all the errors in the .aspx.vb file,
but when I launch the .aspx file in the browser I get this error as
before with line 34 of the .aspx.vb highlighted in red as the
problem: Line 34: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")

Server Error in '/' Application.

Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB
status value, if available. No work was done.

Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Multiple-step OLE
DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if
available. No work was done.

Source Error:

Line 32: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
Line 33: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
Line 34: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
Line 35: End If
Line 36: End Sub

Source File: E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb
Line: 34

Stack Trace:

[OleDbException (0x80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated
errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was
done.]

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbServicesWrapper.GetDataSource(OleDbConnectionString
constr, DataSourceWrapper& datasrcWrapper) +209

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString
constr, OleDbConnection connection) +118

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
DbConnection owningObject) +53

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
owningConnection) +47

System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +37
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset,
DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String
srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +121
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32
startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
CommandBehavior behavior) +137
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String
srcTable) +83
Default5.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\kunden
\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb:34
+1061