Synthesis of more FSMs in one file using DC

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Marek Ponca, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Marek Ponca

    Marek Ponca Guest

    Hi everybody,

    is there some methodology supporting for synthesis of
    more FSMs included in one source file ?

    How to set constraints of each one FSM separately ?

    Something like:

    dc_shell:> set_fsm machine1
    dc_shell:> set_encoding_style one_hot

    dc_shell:> set_fsm machine2
    dc_shell:> set_encoding_style gray

    dc_shell:> compile

    dc_shell:> set_fsm machine1
    dc_shell:> report_fsm

    dc_shell:> set_fsm machine2
    dc_shell:> report_fsm

    Or is it really needed to write FSMs into separate files ?

    I was unable to find any synopsys/synthesis newsgroup :eek:(

    Thanks
    Marek

    --
    Dipl.-Ing. Marek Ponca
    Institut of Circuit Technology and Electronics

    Ilmenau Technical University
    P.O. BOX 10 05 65
    98684 Ilmenau
    Germany

    Marek Ponca, Jan 7, 2005

  2. HI,

    Only one FSM design per entity is recommended. If a file has
    multiple FSMs for a single entity , only one is extracted each time you
    compile. It is not possible to predict which FSM will be extracted.
    Regards,

    Mohammed A khader.

    Mohammed khader, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Marek Ponca

    Falk Brunner Guest

    "Marek Ponca" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > is there some methodology supporting for synthesis of
    > more FSMs included in one source file ?
    >
    > How to set constraints of each one FSM separately ?
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > dc_shell:> set_fsm machine1
    > dc_shell:> set_encoding_style one_hot
    >
    > dc_shell:> set_fsm machine2
    > dc_shell:> set_encoding_style gray
    >
    > dc_shell:> compile
    >
    > dc_shell:> set_fsm machine1
    > dc_shell:> report_fsm
    >
    > dc_shell:> set_fsm machine2
    > dc_shell:> report_fsm
    >

    > Or is it really needed to write FSMs into separate files ?

    Synthesis constraints for XST

    VHDL
    Before using FSM_ENCODING, declare it with the following syntax:
    attribute fsm_encoding: string;
    After FSM_ENCODING has been declared, specify the VHDL
    constraint as follows:
    attribute fsm_encoding of {entity_name|signal_name}:
    {entity|signal} is "{auto|one-hot|
    compact|gray|sequential|johnson|user}";
    The default is AUTO.

    Regards