Synthesisable fixed-point arithmetic package

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Jonathan Bromley, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Six months after I said "it's nearly done", I've now finished an
    alpha-test version of the synthesisable VHDL fixed-point package
    I promised. Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself? :)

    I've published it on our corporate website but, as yet, there are
    no links to it from elsewhere on the site. So you need to go
    straight to it using this link:

    http://www.doulos.co.uk/knowhow/vhdl_models/fp_arith/

    At present, all you get is a VHDL package and package body,
    and a PDF doc describing it.

    Any feedback is welcome. Please note that it is very much
    in an experimental state at present. It is in desperate need
    of example designs and a validation test suite; contributions
    towards either will be gratefully received, and acknowledged in
    future releases.

    I would be especially grateful for any indication of whether it's
    aiming in the right direction, and how it could be enhanced or
    made more useful.

    My employers are not responsible for any part of the package.
    Any comments on it should come directly to me at the
    address given below.
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:

    Jonathan Bromley, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Jonathan Bromley

    Jim Lewis Guest

    You may also be interested to know that there is both a fixed point
    and floating point package being developed under IEEE 1076.3.

    You can find out more information at:

    1076.3 General: http://www.vhdl.org/vhdlsynth/
    Floating Point: http://www.eda.org/fphdl/
    Fixed Point: http://www.vhdl.org/vhdlsynth/proposals/dave_p3.html