    hardware.
    So how do we write rtl descriptions? What are the do's and dont's while
    writing a vhdl code for synthesis?

    aravind, Oct 30, 2006

  2. aravind wrote:
    > I've heard only synthesizable on rtl descriptions can be realized on
    > hardware.
    > So how do we write rtl descriptions? What are the do's and dont's while
    > writing a vhdl code for synthesis?

    Do use a synchronous process.
    Don't use "wait for".
    Do start with some known-good examples.

    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/

    Mike Treseler, Oct 30, 2006

  3. aravind

    ajjc Guest

    Aravind,
    Besides the wonderful examples by Mike Treseler,
    check out some synthesis centric books, like:

    RTL Hardware Design Using VHDL: Coding for Efficiency, Portability, and
    Scalability
    by Pong P. Chu

    The website, with code and other collateral is:
    http://academic.csuohio.edu/chu_p/rtl/index.html

    I'm using this book in an HDL class I'm teaching, and finding it very
    useful for synthesis
    related issues

    alan

    ajjc, Oct 30, 2006