  1. Guest

    Hi all.... What is the exact meaning of 'synthesizable'???
    , Feb 18, 2007

  2. KJ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all.... What is the exact meaning of 'synthesizable'???

    When looking for definitions, try the dictionary....
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/synthesize

    Within the context of the VHDL language (and any other hardware description
    language) 'synthesizable' is generally taken to mean something like "can be
    transformed into a physical part". Whether a particular VHDL statement is
    'synthesizable' or not depends on the technology planned to realize the
    final 'physical part'. A simple example is

    b <= a after 10 ns;

    This simple statement is not generally synthesizable in most FPGA/CPLD
    currently around, but in fact can be realized with a simple delay line which
    is rather oldish (but still useful) technology.

    Kevin Jennings
    KJ, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Neo Guest

    Hi,
    Systhesizable refers to the capability of the sysnthesis tools to
    implement the given program in hardware. So in that sense all delays
    come under non-sysnthesiszable as the tools havent yet advanced to a
    stage where they can guarantee specific delays. May be they will
    become feasible a few years down the line.

    cheers,
    Neo
    Neo, Feb 19, 2007
  4. In news:VT_Bh.45466$ timestamped
    Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:10:29 GMT, "KJ" <> posted:
    "<> wrote in message
    > Hi all.... What is the exact meaning of 'synthesizable'???

    [..]

    Within the context of the VHDL language (and any other hardware description
    language) 'synthesizable' is generally taken to mean something like "can be
    transformed into a physical part". Whether a particular VHDL statement is
    'synthesizable' or not depends on the technology planned to realize the
    final 'physical part'. [..]

    [..]"

    Though something may literally be synthesizable given a particular
    technology in a theoretical sense (if only we had a synthesis tool
    which supported this part of the language...), practical usage of
    the term "synthesizable" is also affected by the language features
    supported by the synthesis tool in use. (Of course, you knew that :) )
    Colin Paul Gloster, Feb 22, 2007