Synthesizing fixed_pkg in ISE 9.2

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Andreas Schwarz, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I'm trying to synthesize a design with the fixed_pkg package in Xilinx
    ISE 9.2. I'm using the version adapted for Xilinx from
    http://www.eda-stds.org/fphdl/vhdl.html. Compilation works fine, but
    after that I get the following, not exactly helpful error message:

    =========================================================================
    * Design Hierarchy Analysis
    *
    =========================================================================
    ERROR:Xst:2683 - Unexpected error found while building hierarchy.
    -->

    This happens both with the synthesis test from the website above and
    with my own trivial example (attached at the end of the post). You can
    get the complete test project from http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/25445/fixpt-test.zip.

    Has anyone found a workaround to use fixed_pkg with ISE?

    Thanks,
    Andreas



    Attachment:
    architecture rtl of top is
    signal x, y : sfixed (3 downto -3);
    begin
    x <= to_sfixed(in1, 3, -3);
    y <= x * 2;
    out1 <= to_slv(y);
    end rtl;
     
    Andreas Schwarz, Aug 8, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Andreas Schwarz wrote:

    > Has anyone found a workaround to use fixed_pkg with ISE?


    I haven't even tried since the
    author of the package reported:

    "After fixing everything, it gave me the error:

    INTERNAL_ERROR:Xst:cmain.c:3111:1.8.6.1 - To resolve this error, please
    consult the Answers Database and other online resources at
    http://support.xilinx.com

    This is a "use at your own risk" one I guess. I would
    recommend Synplicity, which seems to work much better."
     
    Mike Treseler, Aug 9, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andreas Schwarz

    David Bishop Guest

    Mike Treseler wrote:
    > Andreas Schwarz wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone found a workaround to use fixed_pkg with ISE?

    >
    > I haven't even tried since the
    > author of the package reported:
    >
    > "After fixing everything, it gave me the error:
    >
    > INTERNAL_ERROR:Xst:cmain.c:3111:1.8.6.1 - To resolve this error, please
    > consult the Answers Database and other online resources at
    > http://support.xilinx.com
    >
    > This is a "use at your own risk" one I guess. I would
    > recommend Synplicity, which seems to work much better."


    I am the author.

    Xilinx said that they were going to fix this in 9.3. I have not had a
    chance to check it out yet, but I would try that first.
     
    David Bishop, Aug 14, 2007
    #3
  4. On 14 Aug., 03:52, David Bishop <> wrote:
    > Xilinx said that they were going to fix this in 9.3. I have not had a
    > chance to check it out yet, but I would try that first.


    Thanks for the info. 9.3 isn't released yet, do you have any idea when
    it will be?

    Andreas
     
    Andreas Schwarz, Aug 15, 2007
    #4
  5. Andreas Schwarz

    David Bishop Guest

    Andreas Schwarz wrote:
    > On 14 Aug., 03:52, David Bishop <> wrote:
    >> Xilinx said that they were going to fix this in 9.3. I have not had a
    >> chance to check it out yet, but I would try that first.

    >
    > Thanks for the info. 9.3 isn't released yet, do you have any idea when
    > it will be?


    I'd use Synplicity. I've been using 8.803 with these packages.
     
    David Bishop, Aug 19, 2007
    #5
  6. Andreas Schwarz

    Guest Guest

    There is no ISE 9.3. Maybe they meant ISE 9.2.03i (service pack 3)
    which is scheduled to release September 14.

    Steve

    "Andreas Schwarz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 14 Aug., 03:52, David Bishop <> wrote:
    >> Xilinx said that they were going to fix this in 9.3. I have not had a
    >> chance to check it out yet, but I would try that first.

    >
    > Thanks for the info. 9.3 isn't released yet, do you have any idea when
    > it will be?
    >
    > Andreas
    >
     
    Guest, Aug 20, 2007
    #6
  7. Andreas Schwarz

    Manny Guest

    There is a nice fixed-point package from Doulos which I successfully
    used in the past. Look it up on their website.
     
    Manny, Aug 21, 2007
    #7
  8. On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 03:25:47 -0700, Manny <> wrote:

    >There is a nice fixed-point package from Doulos which I successfully
    >used in the past. Look it up on their website.


    Manny,

    thanks for the free publicity, but please DON'T use it...
    there are a few rather significant bugs with signed
    arithmetic, and it's not as complete as the IEEE packages.

    I wish I had worked more closely with David Bishop on this,
    because I believe my (Doulos) package has a few features that
    are worth having; but it's far too late now, the IEEE package
    is far better developed, and it has a test suite - something
    I should have done in the first place, but never had time to do.

    I PROMISE to take the packages down from our website before the
    end of the week, and instead leave a pointer to the IEEE set!

    cheers
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services

    Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK

    http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    The contents of this message may contain personal views which
    are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
     
    Jonathan Bromley, Aug 21, 2007
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,943
    Divyang M
    Dec 14, 2004
  2. Divyang M
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    599
    David Bishop
    Feb 4, 2005
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    545
  4. Ved
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    2,186
    David Bishop
    Aug 12, 2006
  5. Jamin
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    875
    Jamin
    Jan 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page