sys.argv[0] doesn't always contain the full path of running script.

gmax2006

Hi,

I use RedHat linux.

How can I find where exactly the current python script is running?

I use this code:

#test.py
import os,sys
print sys.argv
os.chdir(os.path.dirname(sys.argv[0]))

It doesn't work when I run this command from the directory that
test.py is located:

python test.py

That means sys.argv[0] doesn't always contain the full path of
running script.

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

Miki

Hello Max,
How can I find where exactly the current python script is running?
That means sys.argv[0] doesn't always contain the full path of
running script.
sys.path[0] is the script directory, combined with sys.argv[0] you can
find the full path to the script.
(Note that in some rare cases sys.path[0] might not contain the script
directory. For example in an executable created by py2exe).

HTH.

Eyal Lotem

How can I find where exactly the current python script is running?
That means sys.argv[0] doesn't always contain the full path of
running script.
sys.path[0] is the script directory, combined with sys.argv[0] you can
find the full path to the script.
(Note that in some rare cases sys.path[0] might not contain the script
directory. For example in an executable created by py2exe).

I am not sure it is a good idea to rely on sys.path[0] being the current
directory.

I think the proper solution is to use: os.path.abspath(sys.argv[0])
If sys.argv[0] is a relative path, than adding cwd via the above function
will make it absolute as the gp wanted.

This may only break if the python program messes around with the cwd but in
that case its a good idea to extract os.path.abspath(sys.argv[0]) before
that.

Ivan Zuzak

gmax2006 said:
Hi,

I use RedHat linux.

How can I find where exactly the current python script is running?

Hi,

Doesnt __file__ attribute of each module contain the full filepath of
the module?
So, try this:

filepath = __file__
print filepath

Works for me :)

Cheers,
i. zuzak

Joel Hedlund

How can I find where exactly the current python script is running?

Doesnt __file__ attribute of each module contain the full filepath of
the module?

Yes indeed! But the path to the module will not be the same as the path to
the script if you are currently in an imported module. Consider this:

my_script.py:
---------------------------
import my_module

---------------------------

my_module.py:
---------------------------
print __file__

---------------------------

Running "python test.py" now prints /path/to/my_module.py, not
/path/to/my_script.py.

Cheers!
/Joel Hedlund

Joel Hedlund

Running "python test.py" now prints /path/to/my_module.py, not
> /path/to/my_script.py.

That should have been "python my_script.py". Sorry for the slip-up.

Cheers!
/Joel

Ivan Zuzak

Joel said:
Yes indeed! But the path to the module will not be the same as the path to
the script if you are currently in an imported module. Consider this:

I thought that was the point - to get the full path of the running
script? I see you use the terms "script" and "module" in different
contexts, while I use them as: script = module = file. I can't say
which is right, though :).

Cheers,
ivan

John Machin

Ivan said:
I thought that was the point - to get the full path of the running
script? I see you use the terms "script" and "module" in different
contexts, while I use them as: script = module = file. I can't say
which is right, though :).

If you execute fubar.py, it's a script with __name__ == "__main__"; if
you import it, it's a module __name__ == "fubar".