sys.path with multiple Python installations

Xavier Lapointe Desjardins

Hi everyone :eek:),

this is my first post on the mailing list, so I'll try to be clear
enough. I've on my computer WinXp x64 with python 2.5 and 2.6
installed. When I tried to run a small script using smtplib using Python
2.6, I got that error message:

"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "< My projet path >\sandbox.py", line 2, in <module>
import smtplib
File "C:\Python25\Lib\smtplib.py", line 44, in <module>
import socket
File "C:\Python25\Lib\socket.py", line 45, in <module>
import _socket
ImportError: Module use of python25.dll conflicts with this version of
Python.

"

So as you can see, it looks inside Python 2.5 directories, not 2.6. I
took a look at both sys.path (2.5 and 2.6), and remarked that Python 2.5
have its own path list, but 2.6 got its own + the 2.5 paths creating
conflicts.
Is there a way to avoid this? I thought removing every single path in
python 2.6 that linked to 2.5, but maybe there's another reason/solution
or something I should know?

After googling a bit I saw that similar post:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2008-July/498511.html, but
the guy is on Linux.

Thanks a lot,

Xavier