Syslog replay script for centralized syslog host

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by leroy isaac, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. leroy isaac

    leroy isaac Guest

    I have a need to retrieve syslog data from various remote nodes, and
    the smallest network link to the remote nodes is 19K. The syslog
    traffic for the link
    cannot exceed 9K.

    I plan to setup a configuration which generates new log files every 10
    minutes. These files are then compressed, zipped, and transfered to a
    centralized
    loghost.

    The files are then unzipped, uncompressed, and the data is inserted
    into the syslog data stream on a central syslog host.

    Is there a perl script or module which will accomplish this task? If
    not, then does any one have any suggestions on products which may
    accomplish this same
    task.

    LeRoy Isaac

    leroy isaac, Oct 28, 2004

  2. leroy isaac wrote:
    > I have a need to retrieve syslog data from various remote nodes, and
    > the smallest network link to the remote nodes is 19K. The syslog
    > traffic for the link
    > cannot exceed 9K.
    >
    > I plan to setup a configuration which generates new log files every 10
    > minutes. These files are then compressed, zipped, and transfered to a
    > centralized
    > loghost.
    >
    > The files are then unzipped, uncompressed, and the data is inserted
    > into the syslog data stream on a central syslog host.
    >
    > Is there a perl script or module which will accomplish this task? If
    > not, then does any one have any suggestions on products which may
    > accomplish this same
    > task.
    >
    > LeRoy Isaac

    Unless I'm really off, why not just configure syslogd to do remote
    logging? Or are there other considerations (think security, an OS
    that doesn't have/use syslogd, they aren't your machines, etc.) that
    make this option not an option?

    If you need to "roll your own script", visit http://search.cpan.org/
    to find the various modules you might want to use to accomplish this
    task.

    It sounds an awful lot like you haven't done any research on this at
    all and want someone to do it for you. Sorry in advance if this
    isn't the case.

    HTH

    Jim

    James Willmore, Oct 29, 2004