System contracts

gk

JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
connection pooling.

Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
part.

Arved Sandstrom

JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
connection pooling.

Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
part.
The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
the thing in the trash.

JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
connection management, transaction management, and security management.
"Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter. You'll see similar
language in other J2EE specs.

It's the connection management system contract that allows the app
server to pool connections to an underlying EIS.

AHS

gk

On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:> JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts

The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
the thing in the trash.

JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
connection management, transaction management, and security management.
"Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter.

Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
requirements ..right ?

I have found System Contract information. I have found this
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

Could you please be specific at this part.

Arved Sandstrom

Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
requirements ..right ?

I have found System Contract information. I have found this
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

Could you please be specific at this part.
Read the JCA specification. Download version 1.5, and read - thoroughly
- Chapter 6 Connection Management. I feel no need to explain what is
already talked about in a formal J2EE specification.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
requirements ..right ?

I have found System Contract information. I have found this
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

Could you please be specific at this part.

Those contracts are not specific.

There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
some classes and some expectations about who do what
when.

Arne

gk

Those contracts are not specific.

There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
some classes and some expectations about who do what
when.

Arne

Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

(i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
(ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
Application server and EIS ?

Arne Vajhøj

Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

(i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
(ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
Application server and EIS ?

All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
that is what it is intended for.

I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
nature.

But standard products do exist.

Google found:

http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/adapters/jca.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/

Arne

gk

Arved Sandstrom

Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
to EIS ?

Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
order to use JCA Adapters ?

Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:

"The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."

So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.

The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.

With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
(non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/

Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
to EIS ?

Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
order to use JCA Adapters ?

You can use a JCA connector from a Java SE app. At least the
outbound part. I don't think that the inbound part is possible.

But this (called unmanaged in the spec) is not that interesting.
The connector just becomes a library that the client code calls.

And the system contracts between the app server and the
connector goes away.

Arne

gk

Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:

"The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."

So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.

The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.

With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
(non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.

AHS

Thanks . That was a lot of information.

By the way , what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment)
you mentioned ? what it contains ?

Lew

gk said:
Thanks. Have visited the link. That link talks about User guide ,
Running , Developer Guides . I am not interested in those. I want to
know what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment). This is
what I would like to know.

If you aren't able to figure that out from the documentation for a standalone
JCA container-managed environment, you aren't going to be able to figure that
out from any answer I can give you.

Arne Vajhøj

Thanks. Have visited the link. That link talks about User guide ,
Running , Developer Guides . I am not interested in those. I want to
know what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment). This is
what I would like to know.

I had never heard about a standalone JCA container before, but I would
say that the meaning is pretty obvious just from the English words.

It is a container (server) that only supports JCA.

Arne