    here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
    contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
    part.

    gk, Jan 20, 2011

  2. On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:
    > JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
    > defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
    > connection pooling.
    >
    > Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
    > here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
    > contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
    > part.

    The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
    listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
    the thing in the trash.

    JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
    connection management, transaction management, and security management.
    "Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
    between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter. You'll see similar
    language in other J2EE specs.

    It's the connection management system contract that allows the app
    server to pool connections to an underlying EIS.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Jan 20, 2011

  3. gk

    gk Guest

    On Jan 20, 3:35 pm, Arved Sandstrom <>
    wrote:
    > On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:> JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
    > > defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
    > > connection pooling.

    > > Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
    > > here ?  Is it like what XML can be transferred  OR  what sort of
    > > contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
    > > part.

    > The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
    > listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
    > the thing in the trash.
    >
    > JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
    > connection management, transaction management, and security management.
    > "Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
    > between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter.

    Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
    concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
    part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
    place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
    requirements ..right ?

    I have found System Contract information. I have found this
    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

    Could you please be specific at this part.

    gk, Jan 20, 2011
  4. On 11-01-20 07:24 AM, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 20, 3:35 pm, Arved Sandstrom<>
    > wrote:
    >> On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:> JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
    >>> defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
    >>> connection pooling.

    >>> Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
    >>> here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
    >>> contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
    >>> part.

    >> The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
    >> listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
    >> the thing in the trash.
    >>
    >> JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
    >> connection management, transaction management, and security management.
    >> "Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
    >> between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter.

    > Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
    > concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
    > part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
    > place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
    > requirements ..right ?
    >
    > I have found System Contract information. I have found this
    > http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg
    >
    > Could you please be specific at this part.
    >
    >> You'll see similar
    >> language in other J2EE specs.
    >>
    >> It's the connection management system contract that allows the app
    >> server to pool connections to an underlying EIS.
    >>
    >> AHS

    Read the JCA specification. Download version 1.5, and read - thoroughly
    - Chapter 6 Connection Management. I feel no need to explain what is
    already talked about in a formal J2EE specification.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Jan 20, 2011
  5. gk

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 20-01-2011 06:24, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 20, 3:35 pm, Arved Sandstrom<>
    > wrote:
    >> On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:> JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts
    >>> defined between application server and EIS resource adapter provides
    >>> connection pooling.

    >>> Could you please explain what kind of system contract we can think of
    >>> here ? Is it like what XML can be transferred OR what sort of
    >>> contracts we are after ? I would like to know more information at this
    >>> part.

    >> The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
    >> listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
    >> the thing in the trash.
    >>
    >> JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
    >> connection management, transaction management, and security management.
    >> "Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
    >> between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter.

    > Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
    > concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
    > part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
    > place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
    > requirements ..right ?
    >
    > I have found System Contract information. I have found this
    > http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg
    >
    > Could you please be specific at this part.

    Those contracts are not specific.

    There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
    some classes and some expectations about who do what
    when.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 21, 2011
  6. gk

    gk Guest

    On Jan 21, 6:29 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > On 20-01-2011 06:24, gk wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 20, 3:35 pm, Arved Sandstrom<>
    > > wrote:
    > >> On 11-01-20 12:29 AM, gk wrote:>  JCA has a benefit over custom solution because System contracts

    > >> The book or article that you pulled the first paragraph from should have
    > >> listed the JCA contracts, seeing as how it mentioned them; if not, toss
    > >> the thing in the trash.

    > >> JCA system contracts defined in version 1.0 of the JCA spec pertain to
    > >> connection management, transaction management, and security management..
    > >> "Contract" in this sense simply means a related set of requirements
    > >> between J2EE app server and EIS resource adapter.

    > > Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
    > > concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ?  Do you call these a
    > > part of "System Contract" ?  What sort of requirements generally takes
    > > place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
    > > requirements ..right ?

    > > I have found System Contract information. I have found this
    > >http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

    > > Could you please be specific at this part.

    > Those contracts are not specific.
    >
    > There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
    > some classes and some expectations about who do what
    > when.
    >
    > Arne

    Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

    (i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
    (ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
    Application server and EIS ?

    gk, Jan 21, 2011
  7. gk

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 21-01-2011 04:06, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 21, 6:29 am, Arne Vajhøj<> wrote:
    >> On 20-01-2011 06:24, gk wrote:

    >>> Could you please provide one real example here. Is it like 30
    >>> concurrent connections , 10 minutes timeout etc ? Do you call these a
    >>> part of "System Contract" ? What sort of requirements generally takes
    >>> place ? I'm not familiar. I'm sure these are not business
    >>> requirements ..right ?

    >>> I have found System Contract information. I have found this
    >>> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/images/Connector.jpg

    >>> Could you please be specific at this part.

    >> Those contracts are not specific.
    >>
    >> There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
    >> some classes and some expectations about who do what
    >> when.

    > Not clear . Couple of doubts here.
    >
    > (i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
    > (ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
    > Application server and EIS ?

    All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
    that is what it is intended for.

    I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
    nature.

    But standard products do exist.

    Google found:

    http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/adapters/jca.html
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 22, 2011
  8. gk

    gk Guest

    On Jan 21, 7:03 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > On 21-01-2011 04:06, gk wrote:

    > >> Those contracts are not specific.

    > >> There are some interfaces that must be implemented by
    > >> some classes and some expectations about who do what
    > >> when.

    > > Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

    > > (i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
    > > (ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
    > > Application server and EIS ?

    > All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
    > that is what it is intended for.
    > I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
    > nature.
    >
    > But standard products do exist.
    >
    > Google found:
    >
    > http://www.iwaysoftware.com/product...p://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/
    >
    > Arne

    Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
    to EIS ?

    Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
    order to use JCA Adapters ?

    gk, Jan 22, 2011
  9. On 11-01-22 12:40 AM, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 21, 7:03 pm, Arne Vajhøj<> wrote:

    >>> Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

    >>> (i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
    >>> (ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
    >>> Application server and EIS ?

    >> All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
    >> that is what it is intended for.
    >> I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
    >> nature.
    >>
    >> But standard products do exist.
    >>
    >> Google found:
    >>
    >> http://www.iwaysoftware.com/product...p://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/
    >>
    >> Arne

    > Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
    > to EIS ?
    >
    > Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
    > order to use JCA Adapters ?

    Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:

    "The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
    application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."

    So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.

    The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
    1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
    has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
    as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.

    With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
    (non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
    environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
    question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Jan 22, 2011
  10. gk

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 21-01-2011 23:40, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 21, 7:03 pm, Arne Vajhøj<> wrote:

    >>> Not clear . Couple of doubts here.

    >>> (i)Are there any popular JCA products who implements by some classes ?
    >>> (ii)Does this kind of JCA product connects and bridges between
    >>> Application server and EIS ?

    >> All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
    >> that is what it is intended for.
    >> I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
    >> nature.
    >>
    >> But standard products do exist.
    >>
    >> Google found:
    >>
    >> http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/adapters/jca.html

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sapbapijcaadapt/

    > Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
    > to EIS ?
    >
    > Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
    > order to use JCA Adapters ?

    You can use a JCA connector from a Java SE app. At least the
    outbound part. I don't think that the inbound part is possible.

    But this (called unmanaged in the spec) is not that interesting.
    The connector just becomes a library that the client code calls.

    And the system contracts between the app server and the
    connector goes away.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 22, 2011
  11. gk

    gk Guest

    On Jan 22, 5:59 pm, Arved Sandstrom <>
    wrote:
    > On 11-01-22 12:40 AM, gk wrote:

    > >> All outbound JCA connectors bridges between app server and EIS -
    > >> that is what it is intended for.
    > >> I think most JCA connectors are internal due to its
    > >> nature.

    > >> But standard products do exist.

    > >> Google found:

    > >>http://www.iwaysoftware.com/products/adapters/jca.htmlhttp://sourcefo....

    > >> Arne

    > > Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
    > > to EIS ?

    > > Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
    > > order to use JCA Adapters ?

    > Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:
    >
    > "The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
    > application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."
    >
    > So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.
    >
    > The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
    > 1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
    > has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
    > as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.
    >
    > With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
    > (non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
    > environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
    > question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.
    >
    > AHS

    Thanks . That was a lot of information.

    By the way , what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment)
    you mentioned ? what it contains ?

    gk, Jan 24, 2011
  12. gk

    Lew Guest

    On Jan 24, 4:13 am, gk <> wrote:
    > On Jan 22, 5:59 pm, Arved Sandstrom <>
    > wrote:

    > > > Can not we use JCA Adapters for STANDALONE java applications to bridge
    > > > to EIS ?

    > > > Does java applications needs to be deployable in J2EE App server in
    > > > order to use JCA Adapters ?

    > > Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:

    > > "The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
    > > application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."

    > > So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.

    > > The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
    > > 1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
    > > has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
    > > as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.

    > > With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
    > > (non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
    > > environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
    > > question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.

    > > AHS

    > Thanks . That was a lot of information.
    >
    > By the way , what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment)
    > you mentioned ? what it contains ?

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java standalone JCA container

    which, among other fine links, leads one to
    http://www.jboss.org/ironjacamar/docs.html

    as one example.

    --
    Lew
    Ceci n'est pas un post.

    Lew, Jan 24, 2011
  13. gk

    gk Guest

    On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 4:13 am, gk <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 22, 5:59 pm, Arved Sandstrom <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > Section 3.4 in both the JCA 1.5 and JCA 1.6 specifications says:

    > > > "The connector architecture supports access to EISs from non-managed
    > > > application clients; for example, Java applications and applets."

    > > > So yes, you can use a resource adapter from a J2SE application.

    > > > The advantages of using JCA in a _managed_ environment are large, so JCA
    > > > 1.6 has specification support for standalone containers. JBoss for one
    > > > has an implementation. A standalone JCA container isn't the same thing
    > > > as what you asked, but it may very well be what you want.

    > > > With either completely "standalone" J2SE access to EIS resource adapters
    > > > (non-managed environment) or using a standalone JCA container (managed
    > > > environment, just not a Java EE full profile) the answer to your second
    > > > question is No; no, you don't need to use a app server to use JCA adapters.

    > > > AHS

    > > Thanks . That was a lot of information.

    > > By the way , what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment)
    > > you mentioned ? what it contains ?

    > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java standalone JCA container
    >
    > which, among other fine links, leads one tohttp://www.jboss.org/ironjacamar/docs.html
    >
    > as one example.

    Thanks. Have visited the link. That link talks about User guide ,
    Running , Developer Guides . I am not interested in those. I want to
    know what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment). This is
    what I would like to know.

    gk, Jan 25, 2011
  14. gk

    Lew Guest

    gk wrote:
    > Thanks. Have visited the link. That link talks about User guide ,
    > Running , Developer Guides . I am not interested in those. I want to
    > know what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment). This is
    > what I would like to know.

    If you aren't able to figure that out from the documentation for a standalone
    JCA container-managed environment, you aren't going to be able to figure that
    out from any answer I can give you.

    --
    Lew
    Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

    Lew, Jan 25, 2011
  15. gk

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 25-01-2011 05:55, gk wrote:
    > On Jan 24, 11:29 pm, Lew<> wrote:
    >> On Jan 24, 4:13 am, gk<> wrote:

    >>> Thanks . That was a lot of information.

    >>> By the way , what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment)
    >>> you mentioned ? what it contains ?

    >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Java standalone JCA container
    >>
    >> which, among other fine links, leads one tohttp://www.jboss.org/ironjacamar/docs.html
    >>
    >> as one example.

    > Thanks. Have visited the link. That link talks about User guide ,
    > Running , Developer Guides . I am not interested in those. I want to
    > know what is a standalone JCA container (managed environment). This is
    > what I would like to know.

    I had never heard about a standalone JCA container before, but I would
    say that the meaning is pretty obvious just from the English words.

    It is a container (server) that only supports JCA.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 26, 2011