    ideas?..I may have to look further afield at Win32 API's, etc but I wondered
    if there was any way to do it via C initially.

    Merry Xmas to all !!!
    The Spoon, Dec 24, 2003

  2. "The Spoon" <> wrote in
    news:3fe9794a$:

    > I am looking for functions that can be used to automatically update the
    > system date and time on an NT based system, resulting from manually
    > entered date and time values input by an operator via a 32-bit console
    > app. Any ideas?..I may have to look further afield at Win32 API's, etc
    > but I wondered if there was any way to do it via C initially.

    No, not with ISO C. You'll want a win32 newsgroup where they can tell you
    how to do it in Windows NT. ISO C does not deal with system specific
    details like this (or serial ports, or graphic cards, or parallel ports,
    etc.)

    --
    - Mark ->
    Mark A. Odell, Dec 24, 2003

  3. The Spoon <> spoke thus:

    > I am looking for functions that can be used to automatically update the
    > system date and time on an NT based system, resulting from manually entered
    > date and time values input by an operator via a 32-bit console app. Any
    > ideas?..I may have to look further afield at Win32 API's, etc but I wondered
    > if there was any way to do it via C initially.

    (The below welcome text was originally written by Ben Pfaff)

    Your question is outside the domain of comp.lang.c, which discusses
    only the standard C programming language, including the standard C
    library. This is a remarkably narrow topic compared to what many
    people expect.

    For your convenience, the list below contains topics that are not
    on-topic for comp.lang.c, and suggests newsgroups for you to explore
    if you have questions about these topics. Please do observe proper
    netiquette before posting to any of these newsgroups. In particular,
    you should read the group's charter and FAQ, if any (FAQs are
    available from www.faqs.org and other sources). If those fail to
    answer your question then you should browse through at least two weeks
    of recent articles to make sure that your question has not already
    been answered.

    * OS-specific questions, such as how to clear the screen,
    access the network, list the files in a directory, or read
    "piped" output from a subprocess. These questions should be
    directed to OS-specific newsgroups, such as
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc, comp.unix.programmer, or
    comp.os.linux.development.apps.

    * Compiler-specific questions, such as installation issues and
    locations of header files. Ask about these in
    compiler-specific newsgroups, such as gnu.gcc.help or
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.misc. Questions about writing
    compilers are appropriate in comp.compilers.

    * Processor-specific questions, such as questions about
    assembly and machine code. x86 questions are appropriate in
    comp.lang.asm.x86, embedded system processor questions may
    be appropriate in comp.arch.embedded.

    * ABI-specific questions, such as how to interface assembly
    code to C. These questions are both processor- and
    OS-specific and should typically be asked in OS-specific
    newsgroups.

    * Algorithms, except questions about C implementations of
    algorithms. "How do I implement algorithm X in C?" is not a
    question about a C implementation of an algorithm, it is a
    request for source code. Newsgroups comp.programming and
    comp.theory may be appropriate.

    * Making C interoperate with other languages. C has no
    facilities for such interoperation. These questions should
    be directed to system- or compiler-specific newsgroups. C++
    has features for interoperating with C, so consider
    comp.lang.c++ for such questions.

    * The C standard, as opposed to standard C. Questions about
    the C standard are best asked in comp.std.c.

    * C++. Please do not post or cross-post questions about C++
    to comp.lang.c. Ask C++ questions in C++ newsgroups, such
    as comp.lang.c++ or comp.lang.c++.moderated.

    * Test posts. Please test in a newsgroup meant for testing,
    such as alt.test.

    news.groups.questions is a good place to ask about the appropriate
    newsgroup for a given topic.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Dec 24, 2003
  4. The Spoon

    Derk Gwen Guest

    "The Spoon" <> wrote:
    # I am looking for functions that can be used to automatically update the
    # system date and time on an NT based system, resulting from manually entered
    # date and time values input by an operator via a 32-bit console app. Any
    # ideas?..I may have to look further afield at Win32 API's, etc but I wondered
    # if there was any way to do it via C initially.

    If NT accepts a command-line to do this the way Unix accepts a date command,
    it might be easiest to sprintf the command to a string and then call
    system() to run the command.

    On unix I would do something like
    char command[1000];
    sprintf(command,"date %04d%02d%02d%02d%02d.%02d",
    year,month,day,hour,minute,second);
    if (system(command)!=0) {error-processing;}

    Quit killing people. That's high profile.
    Derk Gwen, Dec 24, 2003
  5. The Spoon

    code_wrong Guest

    OT Re: system date and time update

    "The Spoon" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for functions that can be used to automatically update the
    > system date and time on an NT based system, resulting from manually

    entered
    > date and time values input by an operator via a 32-bit console app. Any
    > ideas?..I may have to look further afield at Win32 API's, etc but I

    wondered
    > if there was any way to do it via C initially.
    >
    > Merry Xmas to all !!!

    This XP machine here, and any MSWindows machine I have used, has DATE to
    check/set the date and TIME to check/set the time.Why do you want to write a
    C program to do the same job?
    code_wrong, Dec 24, 2003