"System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine" Doesn't work under IIS7?

Max2006

Hi,

I am using Sysinternal's DebugView tool to watch debug messages.

When I run my website under visual studio development server, I can see all
Debug.WriteLine messages. As soon as I modify the setting and run the
application under IIS7, there are no debug messages!

How can I see my debug messages coming out of an asp.net application running
under IIS7?

Thank you,
Max

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Max,

Regarding on the DebugView and ASP.NET Debug output in IIS hosted
environment issue, I think it is due to the different logon session the
ASP.NET worker process and your debugview running under.

When you run the ASP.NET application in visual studio test server, it is
actually an winform application(the webserver) which running in the same
logon session with the debugview tool. However, for IIS host scenario, the
ASP.NET worker process is running under a non-interative session which is
different from your logon user's session. Therefore, the two process cannot
communicate data. Here is a thread on sysinternal forum also mentioned this:

#Topic: DebugView and Vista
http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11917

If you're performing non real-time debugging, you can use Trace to write
output to file based log source. While for real-time live debugging, you
can launch debugger or visual studio to watch the debug output.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).