System.InvalidOperationException Unable to generate a temporary class error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Eric, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to debug a VB.NET dll that calls a web service. I've
    customized my References.vb to do some functionality I don't believe
    would be possible otherwise.

    When I hit the MyBase.New() line in the references.vb file I'm getting
    the following message (the name of the cs file changes each time):

    System.InvalidOperationException: {"Unable to generate a temporary
    class (result=1).
    error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghvplywm.0.cs' could not be
    found
    error CS2008: No inputs specified

    I've tried giving my ASP.NET Machine Account Write access to the
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory then full control of this directory, but I'm
    still getting the error message. Any idea what to look at next?

    -Eric

    Eric, Dec 7, 2006

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Eric wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to debug a VB.NET dll that calls a web service. I've
    > customized my References.vb to do some functionality I don't believe
    > would be possible otherwise.
    >
    > When I hit the MyBase.New() line in the references.vb file I'm getting
    > the following message (the name of the cs file changes each time):
    >
    > System.InvalidOperationException: {"Unable to generate a temporary
    > class (result=1).
    > error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghvplywm.0.cs' could not be
    > found
    > error CS2008: No inputs specified
    >
    > I've tried giving my ASP.NET Machine Account Write access to the
    > C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory then full control of this directory, but I'm
    > still getting the error message. Any idea what to look at next?
    >
    > -Eric

    I'm running IIS using my user ID, and I'm an admin on my box, so this
    didn't make a whole lot of sense.

    >From the SysInternals website, I downloaded logonsessions.exe, a

    command line utility.

    I then ran logonsessions.exe /p > logonsessions.txt and did a search
    for process ID 1636, which was the ID of the dllhost.exe process that I
    was attached to in the VS 2005 IDE.

    It showed that it was running as:

    [7] Logon session 00000000:00094e16:
    User name: MyMachineName\IWAM_MyMachineName
    Auth package: NTLM
    Logon type: Batch
    Session: 0
    Sid: S-1-5-21-1196832610-2522517657-3672563552-1018
    Logon time: 12/13/2006 3:24:16 PM
    Logon server: MyMachineName
    DNS Domain:
    UPN:
    1636: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

    So I gave MyMachineName\IWAM_MyMachineName read and write permissions
    to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory and my error went away.

    Eric, Dec 13, 2006