System Memeory

Ravi

Hi,
I have a basic doubt in Applets. If I run a applet from browser, then
the memory is taken from the browser memory or seperate process memory
is used by the applet.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,
Ravi.

Oliver Wong

Ravi said:
Hi,
I have a basic doubt in Applets. If I run a applet from browser, then
the memory is taken from the browser memory or seperate process memory
is used by the applet.

Probably implementation specific.

- Oliver

Ravi

My doubt is wheather it depends on browser implementation or OS
implementation or it depends on both.

Thomas Schodt

Ravi said:
My doubt is wheather it depends on browser implementation or OS
implementation or it depends on both.

To get a specific answer you need to ask a specific question.

Why is this information important to you?

What specific OS, browser and JRE version are you interested in?
[say "all" and you're likely to get a "depends" answer again...]

Remember to tell us why is this information important to you.

Ravi

I want for InternetExplorere in Windows OS.
This is important for making a decision for developing the product on
Applet or Stand Alone Java Application

Thomas Schodt

Ravi said:
I want for InternetExplorere in Windows OS.
This is important for making a decision for developing the product on
Applet or Stand Alone Java Application

Does it matter?
If you run a java application in a JRE, it will need some memory.
If you run an equivalent java applet in IE, it will need the same amount
of memory.

Why should you care if the browser is involved in the allocation of that
memory, or not?

Ravi

Thanks for following it. Now I hope you got that question correctly.
Why because The applet should not disturbed other application in the
opened in the saem browser or other browser.

Thomas Schodt

Ravi said:
Thanks for following it. Now I hope you got that question correctly.
Why because The applet should not disturbed other application in the
opened in the saem browser or other browser.

Now we're getting somewhere.

What you really want to know is how several applets may affect each
other? Specifically when it comes to memory allocation.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know, but there's bound to be someone around who does.

Oliver Wong

Thomas Schodt said:
Now we're getting somewhere.

What you really want to know is how several applets may affect each other?
Specifically when it comes to memory allocation.

I'm afraid I wouldn't know, but there's bound to be someone around who
does.

Ravi, you could try an experiment. Put two applets on the same page
which use the same static variable. If a change in the static variable of
one applet affects the second applet, then you know that they are sharing
JVMs. If not, then you don't know (maybe they're not sharing, or maybe
they're sharing, but the JVM is being sneaky and detecting what you're
trying to do and circumventing it).

- Oliver

Chris Uppal

Oliver said:
Ravi, you could try an experiment. Put two applets on the same page
which use the same static variable. If a change in the static variable of
one applet affects the second applet, then you know that they are sharing
JVMs. If not, then you don't know (maybe they're not sharing, or maybe
they're sharing, but the JVM is being sneaky and detecting what you're
trying to do and circumventing it).

If they do change together then you know they are sharing classloaders within
the same JVM. If they do not change together then you know that either that
browser is not using a Sun JVM (or something derived from it), or that they are
sharing a JVM but using different classloaders for each applet. The Sun JVMs
do not allow more than one JVM to be created in the same process.

At least that's the case for JSE, what happens on phones, and so on, with
not-necessarily Sun JVM implementations, is anybody's guess.

-- chris