System.Net.HttpWebRequest with HTTPS

dgiard

I am using the System.Net.HttpWebRequest object to POST data to an HTTPS web
page.

Other than prefixing the URL with "HTTPS://", do I need to do anything in my
code to indicate that this is SSL?

Here is my code:
// Create Web Request
string url = "https://something.net/something.dll";

HttpWebRequest oHttp =
(HttpWebRequest) WebRequest.Create(url);

// Post form variables
string params = "x_Version=" + version
+ "&x_DelimData=" + delimData
+ "&x_Login=" + login
+ "&x_Password=" + password
+ "&x_Amount=" + amount
+ "&x_Card_Num=" + cardNumber
+ "&x_Exp_Date=" + expirationDate
+ "&x_Type=" + type;
oHttp.Method="POST";
byte [] postBuffer =
System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding(1252).GetBytes(params);
oHttp.ContentLength = postBuffer.Length;
Stream postData = oHttp.GetRequestStream();
postData.Write(postBuffer,0,postBuffer.Length);
postData.Close();

// Get results
HttpWebResponse myResponse = (HttpWebResponse) oHttp.GetResponse();
Encoding enc = System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding(1252);
StreamReader loResponseStream =
new StreamReader(myResponse.GetResponseStream(), enc);
string retHtml = loResponseStream.ReadToEnd();
myResponse.Close();
loResponseStream.Close();

messages = retHtml;

Joerg Jooss

"dgiard" spoke:
I am using the System.Net.HttpWebRequest object to POST data to an
HTTPS web page.

Other than prefixing the URL with "HTTPS://", do I need to do
anything in my code to indicate that this is SSL?

Check out if the framework's default certificate policy (URL below)
works for you. If not, you need to implement your own. But that should
be it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemNetServicePointManagerClassCertificatePolicyTop
ic.asp

Cheers,