System.Net.Mail Error: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by nate.strules@gmail.com, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but only a few people
    seem to have encountered it.

    The code is straightforward:

    MailMessage mail = new MailMessage(from, to, subject, body);
    SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient("localhost");
    client.Send (mail);

    The code works fine on my development machine (XP Pro). When moved to
    staging (2003 Server), I get the "connection closed" error. I've
    confirmed the following:

    -- "localhost" resolves to 127.0.0.1 (also tried using the loopback
    address with the same error)
    -- SMTP service is running on port 25
    -- service is configured to relay mail
    -- another app (Community Server) is using the service to send email
    without any problems.

    I'm at wit's end

    TIA

    , Jul 13, 2006

    As usual, this problem was resolved out not long after posting this
    message. The problem was how the SMTP service was set up.
    Specifically, the service has been bound to a specific IP address (not
    the webserver's; see the "IP Address" dropdown in the "General" tab).
    Once this was set to "(All Unassigned)". Everything worked fine.
    Hopefully this message will save someone the hours of aggravation I
    endured.

    wrote:
    > I've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but only a few people
    > seem to have encountered it.
    >
    > The code is straightforward:
    >
    > MailMessage mail = new MailMessage(from, to, subject, body);
    > SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient("localhost");
    > client.Send (mail);
    >
    > The code works fine on my development machine (XP Pro). When moved to
    > staging (2003 Server), I get the "connection closed" error. I've
    > confirmed the following:
    >
    > -- "localhost" resolves to 127.0.0.1 (also tried using the loopback
    > address with the same error)
    > -- SMTP service is running on port 25
    > -- service is configured to relay mail
    > -- another app (Community Server) is using the service to send email
    > without any problems.
    >
    > I'm at wit's end
    >
    > TIA

    , Jul 14, 2006

  3. narayanak

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2006
    Messages:
    As you said I have configured the SMTP and there is no error coming to me but the email is not going to specific address. Instead it is stored as .EML file in "C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Queue" folder.
    This is the code
    Dim mailServerName As String = "110.119.190.238"
    Try
    Dim message As New MailMessage(from, too, subject, Body)
    message.IsBodyHtml = True
    Dim mailClient As New SmtpClient()
    mailClient.Host = mailServerName
    mailClient.Port = 25
    mailClient.UseDefaultCredentials = True
    mailClient.DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network
    Dim attachmentPath As String = Server.MapPath("Report.pdf")
    Dim attach As New Attachment(attachmentPath)
    message.Attachments.Add(attach)
    mailClient.Send(message)
    Catch Ex As SmtpException
    Throw New ApplicationException("SmtpException has oCCured: " + Ex.Message)
    Catch Ex As Exception
    Throw Ex
    End Try

    Here I am specifying the "DeliveryMethod = SmtpDeliveryMethod.Network" also. Instead of that also it is not sending the mail. If I remove also it is storing .EML file in the above mentioned folder.

    Please help me out.
    thanks
    Narayana

    narayanak, Sep 7, 2006
  4. jzhou07

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Problem solved, but why?

    Thanks for the sharing this with us, it does save me a lot of time. But I am wondering why it solves the problem? I am calling the smtp from one of my web service which sits on the machine that specified on the drop down list, why shall I change it to All Unassigned?

    Jason

    jzhou07, Nov 13, 2006
  5. karlitros

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    You don't have to set the IP address box to all unassigned, you can simply use the IP address that's specified as it stands. That's what I did, anyway.

    And yes, I registered just to answer this question!

    karlitros, Jul 5, 2007