    differences?

    Great Thanks
    Frank
    Frank, Mar 27, 2007

  2. Hello,

    in .NET 1.1, only the System.Web.Mail was available. This implemenation had
    fundamental flaws. For example, attachment could only be added from files,
    not from Streams.

    The .NET 2.0 implementation is System.Net.Mail and is much more flexible and
    has a richer featureset.

    Best regards,
    Henning Krause

    Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange], Mar 27, 2007

  3. Frank

    frank Guest

    On Mar 27, 3:59 pm, "Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]"
    <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > in .NET 1.1, only the System.Web.Mail was available. This implemenation had
    > fundamental flaws. For example, attachment could only be added from files,
    > not from Streams.
    >
    > The .NET 2.0 implementation is System.Net.Mail and is much more flexible and
    > has a richer featureset.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Henning Krause
    >
    > "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I am hoping to find out the differences between the
    > > System.Net.Mail and System.Web.Mail.

    > > Can some nice folks post the differences; or some urls which show the
    > > differences?

    > > Great Thanks
    > > Frank- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Mr. Krause,

    many thxs
    frank, Mar 27, 2007
  4. Frank

    Jay Parzych Guest

    http://www.systemwebmail.com/

    http://www.systemnetmail.com/

    Jay Parzych, Mar 28, 2007
  5. Frank

    frank Guest

    On Mar 27, 8:33 pm, Jay Parzych <> wrote:
    > http://www.systemwebmail.com/
    >
    > http://www.systemnetmail.com/
    >

    > > On Mar 27, 3:59 pm, "Henning Krause [MVP - Exchange]"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Hello,

    > >> in .NET 1.1, only the System.Web.Mail was available. This
    > >> implemenation had fundamental flaws. For example, attachment could
    > >> only be added from files, not from Streams.

    > >> The .NET 2.0 implementation is System.Net.Mail and is much more
    > >> flexible and has a richer featureset.

    > >> Best regards,
    > >> Henning Krause
    > >> "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi Mr. Krause,

    > > many thxs- Hide quoted text -

    great thxs!
    frank, Mar 28, 2007
  6. Actually System.Net.Mail replaces System.Web.Mail, which is now marked
    as obsolete.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Mar 28, 2007
  7. re:
    > Actually System.Net.Mail replaces System.Web.Mail, which is now marked as obsolete

    It's only "obsolete" for the .Net Framework 2.0.
    It's still supported in the .Net Framework 1.0 and 1.1.

    The correct term when a class works in previous
    versions, but not in a later one, is "deprecated".

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 28, 2007
  8. Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    >> Actually System.Net.Mail replaces System.Web.Mail, which is now marked as obsolete

    > It's only "obsolete" for the .Net Framework 2.0.
    > It's still supported in the .Net Framework 1.0 and 1.1.

    Obviously, as System.Net.Mail doesn't exist in framework 1.x.

    > The correct term when a class works in previous
    > versions, but not in a later one, is "deprecated".

    The class is marked as obsolete using the Obsolete attribute. The
    correct term for a class marked as obsolete is obsolete. You can also
    call it "deprecated" as some other systems use that term for the same thing.

    An obsolete class is still working, it's only recommended that it's not
    used. As the framework is supposed to be able to run code compiled for
    previos versions, classes can't just stop working, at least not until
    they have been obsolete for some version updates.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Mar 28, 2007
  9. re:
    > The class is marked as obsolete using the Obsolete attribute.

    There's conflicting info on that.

    See :
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.mail(VS.80).aspx

    That page says that the classes in the System.Web.Mail namespace have been deprecated,
    but all its classes have been marked as obsolete.

    The namespace is not obsolete. It's deprecated.
    That's because it doesn't work in the current version but works in the previous ones.

    See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated
    "The deprecated feature still works in the current version of the software,
    but it may raise error messages or warnings recommending an alternative practice."

    and
    http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970917/convent.html
    "A deprecated element or attribute is one that has been outdated by newer constructs."

    System.Web.Mail can be thought of as "obsolescent", but not "obsolete", since it still works.

    Ymmv, of course.

    >>> http://www.guffa.com

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 29, 2007
  10. Juan T. Llibre wrote:
    > re:
    >> The class is marked as obsolete using the Obsolete attribute.

    > There's conflicting info on that.

    Not at all. It's very simple. There is an Obsolete attribute. There is
    no Deprecated attribute. You can mark a class as obsolete, but you can't
    mark it as deprecated.

    > See :
    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.mail(VS.80).aspx
    >
    > That page says that the classes in the System.Web.Mail namespace have been deprecated,
    > but all its classes have been marked as obsolete.
    >
    > The namespace is not obsolete. It's deprecated.
    > That's because it doesn't work in the current version but works in the previous ones.

    That is not correct. The classes still work in the current version.

    > See:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated
    > "The deprecated feature still works in the current version of the software,
    > but it may raise error messages or warnings recommending an alternative practice."
    >
    > and
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40-970917/convent.html
    > "A deprecated element or attribute is one that has been outdated by newer constructs."
    >
    > System.Web.Mail can be thought of as "obsolescent", but not "obsolete", since it still works.

    I think that you are confusing this with something else. Just because
    something is obsolete doesn't in any way imply that it would not work
    any more.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Mar 29, 2007
  11. I think we mostly have a semantic difference.
    In practice, "obsolete" and "deprecated" are semantic synonyms.

    re:
    > The classes still work in the current version.

    You're right about that.

    re:
    >> System.Web.Mail can be thought of as "obsolescent", but not "obsolete", since it still works.

    > I think that you are confusing this with something else.

    I don't think so.

    "obsolete" and "deprecated", in the sense they are used in CS,
    means that they still work...but are on the way to not working.

    At some point in the near ( maybe not so near ) future,
    they will cease to work in the newest version.

    >>> http://www.guffa.com

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 29, 2007