System.Net.WebException

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vijay, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. Vijay

    Vijay Guest

    Hi,

    I am calling an external web service that returns some data which is being
    displayed on my ASP.NET page. This page refreshes every 60 seconds and pulls
    the updated data from the web service.

    The page works great for a few minutes and then all of a sudden throws the
    following error:

    System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server --->
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the
    connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or
    established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot,
    SocketAddress socketAddress)
    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)
    at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure,
    Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState
    state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at fhlb.cmkt.CFM.proxy.NetWireService.NetWireService.getNetWires(getNetWires
    getNetWires1) in E:\Projects\CapitalMarkets\CFM\fhlb.cmkt.proxy\Web
    References\NetWireService\Reference.cs:line 115
    at fhlb.cmkt.CFM.CashFlowMonitor.getNetWiresSecured()
    at fhlb.cmkt.CFM.CashFlowMonitor.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

    Using ASP.NET 2.0 on IIS 6.0 (Windows Server 2003).

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Vijay, Jan 16, 2008

  2. Vijay

    bruce barker Guest

    this is normal. it just a timeout on a page request. you need to decide how
    to handle it. maybe save the last results and resuse.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Vijay

    Vijay Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply Bruce.

    Is it a timeout on the webpage that is calling the web service or is it a
    timeout that is occuring on the web service? What does it mean when you say
    "save the last results and reuse" ?

    Thanks!
    Vijay

    Vijay, Jan 17, 2008