System process failed to die on Windows Server 2003

Brian Wakem

I am unfortunate enough to have to automate Word on Windows Server 2003.

The WINWORD.EXE processes are being launched as the user SYSTEM, pressumable
because Apache (which is automating it through mod_perl) is running as
SYSTEM.

kill 9, $pid does not seem to be able to kill SYSTEM processes even when my
reaper is running as Administrator.

Win32::process::KillProcess($pid, $exitcode) also fails with a permission
denied message.

I guess my question is this:

How do I kill system process from Perl as the Administrator.

My experience is all Linux and I am new to Windows servers. This may best
be asked in a Window newsgroup but I am looking for a Perl specific answer
so I think here is my best bet.