    do it in Java too.

    Thanks
    Mag

    Mag, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Mag

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:38:06 GMT, "Mag" <> wrote or quoted :

    >Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
    >domain)?
    >Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
    >do it in Java too.

    Linux supports quite a variety of file systems, so running the code
    under Linux would be the easiest. Then all you do is copy files.
    Linux looks after the rest.

    To copy files see http://mindprod.com/products.html#FILETRANSFER

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Mag

    Chris Smith Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:38:06 GMT, "Mag" <> wrote or quoted :
    > >Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
    > >domain)?
    > >Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
    > >do it in Java too.

    > Linux supports quite a variety of file systems, so running the code
    > under Linux would be the easiest. Then all you do is copy files.
    > Linux looks after the rest.

    My guess is that Mag wanted to know about network backup software that
    spans machines running multiple operating systems, not about backing up
    a machine that dual-boots... especially given the wording "from NT to
    Linux".

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jul 6, 2003
  4. Mag

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mag wrote:
    > Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
    > domain)?
    > Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
    > do it in Java too.

    Well, there are not APIs for controlling tape drives in the core Java
    API, so AFAIK, you would need to include at least some native code for
    that purpose... unless you plan to backup on removable disk media or
    some such half-baked solution.

    Once you've passed that hurdle, there are quite a few choices to be made
    in backup software. Basically, you could use Java to write a
    filesystem-aware logical backup, but not a physical backup. If you
    wanted to do a physical backup, you'd again need native code to access
    the source drives in that manner.

    With those two tasks taken care of, yes it is quite possible to write
    backup control software in Java. The piece that deals with networking,
    arbitration for resources, etc. is well-suited to the JVM.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jul 6, 2003