    I'm trying to upgrade python from 2.2 to 2.4 on a RH9 system, and can't
    find any rpm that will let me install it.
    Is FC3 required for python 2.4?

    ben, Dec 13, 2004

  2. FWIIW, we use Python 2.4 on RH8 and FC2 systems. In both cases, built
    from scratch, following the build instructions.

    /Jean Brouwers

    Jean Brouwers, Dec 13, 2004

  3. ben

    ben Guest

    Ah, I figured I would have to resort to that.

    Thanks.

    ben, Dec 13, 2004
  4. ben wrote:
    > I'm trying to upgrade python from 2.2 to 2.4 on a RH9 system, and can't
    > find any rpm that will let me install it.
    > Is FC3 required for python 2.4?

    No. However, you may have to build Python yourself. Try using the source
    RPM; if that fails to work, either correct the spec file, or build
    directly from the pydotorg sources.

    Regards,
    Martin

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=, Dec 13, 2004
  5. ben

    Dave Reed Guest

    On Monday 13 December 2004 18:17, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
    > ben wrote:
    > > I'm trying to upgrade python from 2.2 to 2.4 on a RH9 system, and

    can't
    > > find any rpm that will let me install it.
    > > Is FC3 required for python 2.4?

    > No. However, you may have to build Python yourself. Try using the

    source
    > RPM; if that fails to work, either correct the spec file, or build
    > directly from the pydotorg sources.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin

    And you don't want to install an rpm with 2.4 that overwrites the 2.2
    version that came with Red Hat. Many of the Red Hat configurations
    tools rely on the existing 2.2 version so you need to keep it there.

    You want to install python 2.4 somewhere else (/usr/local is the usual
    place).

    It really isn't difficult. Grab the .tgz file and untar it, cd into the
    python directory, execute "./configure; make;make install" assuming you
    have write permissions on /usr/local; if not su to root before doing
    "make install".

    Dave

    Dave Reed, Dec 14, 2004
  6. ben

    ben Guest

    Yes, I already figured that out. I put python 2.4 in /usr/local/bin,
    and then, when I installed zope (which is the reason for the new
    python), I had to tell it where the newer python was.

    ben, Dec 14, 2004