system.web.mail Delivery Receipt?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Thunell, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. I'm using the system.web.mail in vb.net to send emails out in a vb.net
    application. The sending of emails works great. Is there a way to have it
    send me back a delivery receipt or a read receipt? (I think i prefer
    delivery receipt)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Chris Thunell

    mycode currently is the following:
    Imports system.web.mail

    Dim message As New MailMessage

    Dim Attachment As System.Web.Mail.MailAttachment

    With message

    ..BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html

    ..To = RecipientList

    ..Cc = MessageFrom

    ..Subject = MessageSubject

    ..From = MessageFrom

    ..Body = MessageBody

    If Len(Trim(AttachmentLocation)) > 1 Then

    Attachment = New MailAttachment(Trim(AttachmentLocation))

    ..Attachments.Add(Attachment)

    End If

    End With

    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "myserver"

    SmtpMail.Send(message)
    Chris Thunell, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Chris Thunell

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    personally I wouldn't bother. The user can block these so you will never
    know for sure they didn't read/open it.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Oct 11, 2004

  3. I seem to get a better response with Delivery receipts since it is the
    receipients server that sends that. Be that what it may... is it possible
    to get a delivery receipt from the code listed below?

    Chris Thunell

    Chris Thunell, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Chris Thunell

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Oh, sorry... :}
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302839

    Curt_C [MVP], Oct 11, 2004
  5. Ok thanks for that url! If you look at the code below though, i'm using
    ..net system.web.mail..... dim message as new mailmessage... etc etc. Your
    suggestion is using CDO. Does the .net framework web.mail provide for
    delivery receipts?

    Thanks again for your help!
    Chris Thunell

    Chris Thunell, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Chris Thunell

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Here, should be, the Red Receipt. Not sure on the Delivery Notification but
    it should be along the same lines I would think.

    ..Notification = True 'Send a read receipt to the sender

    Curt_C [MVP], Oct 11, 2004