System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Controls.Add

Martin Eyles

Hi,
I have a routine that uses
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlGenericControl.Controls.Add
quite a lot to add <v:line>, <v:rect> and <div> tags to a document.

Unfortunately, the output HTML markup is VERY messy, as all the tags and
their contents end up on the same line. Is there a way to make it so that
the output is nicely indented, and each tag is on a new line?

(ie. looks like a bit like this)
<v:line ......>
</v:line>
<v:rect ......>
</v:rect>
£-83

Thanks,
Martin

Guest

hey whereever required you can add new LiteralControl(" "),
new LiteralControl("<br/>")

To have the formatted HTML.

Hope this helps.

Martin Eyles

Hitesh said:
hey whereever required you can add new LiteralControl(" "),
new LiteralControl("<br/>")

To have the formatted HTML.

This didn't quite work, but just inserted a space or <br/> in the html. But
I managed to modify it to do what I want. I now do

theGraph.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl(Chr(10)))

which inserts a newline character in the HTML.

Thanks,
ME

Martin Eyles

Martin Eyles said:
This didn't quite work, but just inserted a space or <br/> in the html. But
I managed to modify it to do what I want. I now do

theGraph.Controls.Add(New LiteralControl(Chr(10)))

which inserts a newline character in the HTML.

To make this neater when run several times, I have tried to split this into
two bits

At the top of the method I set up a literal control object object:-

//Set up a web control to insert a new line into the HTML code.
System.Web.UI.LiteralControl codeNewLine;
codeNewLine=new System.Web.UI.LiteralControl(((char)10).ToString());

And at several points I insert this line to add the control to another
control:-

theGraph.Controls.Add(codeNewLine); //add a new line to the HTML code.

However, this only appears to work the very last time it is inserted.

Any Ideas?

Thankyou,

Martin