    unfortunate if VHDL just got replaced with some Verilog clone without
    a fight from the VHDL camp.

    nachiket.

    Nachiket Kapre, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Nachiket Kapre

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Nachiket,
    It is called VHDL-200X. You can find more information at:
    http://www.eda.org/vhdl-200x

    Cheers,
    Jim Lewis

    > is there any effort to extend VHDL into something similar to what's
    > happening in the Verilog world..i.e. systemVerilog. it would be really
    > unfortunate if VHDL just got replaced with some Verilog clone without
    > a fight from the VHDL camp.
    >
    > nachiket.

    Jim Lewis
    Director of Training mailto:
    1-503-590-4787

    Jim Lewis, Oct 2, 2004

  3. It seems like this they haven't had any progress since 4 months ago!
    This new standard is so overdue!!!

    Anyways what is VHDL 2002?? Where can I find what is exactly new with
    this standard??

    - Paulo Valentim

    Paulo Valentim, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Nachiket Kapre

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Paulo,
    Actually, as a working group member, I have seen
    significant progress. Proposals have to be made,
    analyzed, and then integrated into the standard.
    Four months ago, most were just conceptual proposals.
    Now most of the proposals have detailed analysis
    associated with them and many have been reviewed.

    IEEE standards working groups do not get any support
    from IEEE or IEEE-SA. 90% of the work done by a
    working group is done on a volunteer basis.
    While many members come from EDA companies, many others
    do not. Some people get supported by their company to
    spend time participating and others do it in their
    spare time (taking away from their family).

    Bottom line, if you want standards to move at a faster
    pace, you need to volunteer. You need to earn the right
    to complain. If you are not happy with the direction a
    standards group goes, you need to participate, otherwise,
    again, you have no right to complain. People working
    on standards are not claravoint and may not think of the
    great idea you have - unless you either share it or
    help develop it by participating.

    The final step in getting the standard done is to
    integrate the proposals into the standard. This is work
    that is typically done by one individual (to ensure
    continunity). Unfortunately the amount of time it takes
    implies that it is not feasibile to do this on a voluntary
    basis - as a result, since we are not funded by IEEE,
    we also need to raise funds to support this effort.

    Best Regards,
    Jim Lewis
    co-team leader VHDL-200X Fast Track

    Jim Lewis, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Thank you for the clarification! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!

    Paulo Valentim, Oct 8, 2004