Tab (again i know... but it just doesnt work :( )

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jurrie, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Jurrie

    Jurrie Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a problem with printing a tab. In my XML document i have
    paragraph elements, that may have a <TAB /> element like this:

    <paragraph stylesheet="Body_List">-<TAB />Avoid repetitive and time
    consuming actions</paragraph>

    To output the text i use the following:

    <xsl:value-of select="text()" />
    <xsl:apply-templates select="TAB" />

    then i have a template that looks like this:

    <xsl:template match="TAB">
    <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
    <xsl:value-of select="substring-after(..,substring(..,1,1))" /> <!--
    make sure the '-' is not printed again -->
    </xsl:template>

    I searched these messages to look how i should output a tab, and i
    found <xsl:text> </xsl:text> somewhere, but if i run this
    through Xalan-j and FOP, the <xsl:text> </xsl:text> gets
    replaced by a normal space.
    Am i making a mistake here? or is it a bug, or is this normal
    behaviour according to the standard?

    Thanks for any help,
    Jurrie

    Jurrie, Oct 22, 2003