    Can anyone point me to a customizable ASP.Net tab control? I'm not looking
    for suites of controls, just this one.

    Thanks!
    MWulfe, Apr 8, 2010

  2. Nathan Sokalski, Apr 10, 2010

  3. Well, I can't really fix that, but I have a feeling that will be the case
    with any other tab controls you find online. If having a visual UI for
    development is an absolute necessity for you, I would suggest one of the
    following two alternatives:

    1. Design the tab content outside of the actual control so that you can use
    the visual UI just like you would if you weren't even making a tab, and then
    once you're done designing the tab content, cut and paste the content into
    the the tab.

    2. Create a UserControl for each tab, and then all you need to put in the
    tab is a single control. Because the content and designing is being done
    outside of the tab control, you will be able to use the visual UI just like
    you normally would.

    I don't think this will be as much of a problem for you as you think, since
    once the content for a tab is in it and any css and design properties are
    set, most of your work will be done in Source View anyway. Also (and other
    developers may have a different opinion on this), when it comes to design
    and css, I usually recommend viewing it in a browser (since that way you
    know you are seeing what the user will see) and, if one is available (and I
    know there is for IE and Firefox), trying any different css using a utility
    that allows you to preview different styles directly in the browser. Anyway,
    hopefully this helps, good luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Apr 11, 2010
  4. MWulfe

    MWulfe Guest

    I finally decided to build my own, using a menu with tab graphics sitting on
    top of a multiview or wizard. The problem I have now is i cannot get rid of
    the space between the menu options. The graphics I'm using show the tabs
    overlapping, which means each tab is spread across multiple options. The
    space between the options ruins that effect. How can I get rid of those
    spaces?

    MWulfe, Apr 12, 2010
  5. First of all, is it ok if I ask what specifically you didn't like about the
    TabContainer (listed as Tabs) control from the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit
    (http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/Samples/Tabs/Tabs.aspx)? But
    anyway, I enjoy writing code too, so I guess it can be tempting to write
    your own, so here are some possible guesses as to the reason for your space
    between the menu options (I haven't seen the code, so I can only guess):

    1. Check the css, specifically the margin, padding, and border-width
    properties.
    2. Some browsers are more sensitive to spaces between tags than they should
    be (even though html shouldn't be affected by whether or not there is any
    space between tags, sometimes it has an effect in some browsers that is hard
    to notice, but sometimes makes a difference for precision placement). See if
    removing any extra whitespace in your aspx source code makes any difference.

    When you say "using a menu", do you mean using the ASP.NET Menu Control, or
    do you just mean you created a menu? If you mean the Menu Control, I would
    suggest looking at the generated html to see exactly what html you are
    playing with. Sometimes during design I find it useful to use a tool that
    lets you view and edit the css directly in the browser. IE has the Internet
    Explorer Developer Toolkit available, IE8 has the Developer Tools built in,
    and I believe Firefox has something called Firebug. I may be able to help
    you more if I see some of your code, but I would really like to know
    specifically what you didn't like about the one from the ASP.NET AJAX
    Control Toolkit (sometimes there is an easy way to get what you want that
    you just haven't discovered yet). Good Luck!

    Nathan Sokalski, Apr 13, 2010
  6. MWulfe

    MWulfe Guest

    Thanks for your suggestions about removing the space between menu options.
    I will try them out. I am using the ASP.Net menu control.

    My objection to the AJAX controls is, as I mentioned in my earlier message,
    it does not include a UI for development. I will want to put lots of stuff
    in each page of the tab control, and will want to arrange them carefully.
    If you know of a way to do this please let me know, since this is my first
    attempt at using AJAX. So far I am probably one of the 2 or 3 people on the
    planet who is not impressed, since everyone else seems to love it.

    MWulfe, Apr 13, 2010
  7. MWulfe

    MWulfe Guest

    I have figured out all the issues I raised about the menu control except for
    one: I do not want any text displayed with the menu items. The graphics I
    am using already include the necessary text, so unless there is a way to
    force the graphic to be behind the text, I need to display the items without
    it. I can remove the text from the items, but then they display the values.
    I need to use the values in my code, so I cannot do without them, but I do
    not want them displayed.

    How can I use the menu options with values but without the values being
    displayed?

    MWulfe, Apr 16, 2010
  8. I think that the Value property is used as the default Text. It may be a
    cheap workaround, but try something like this:

    <asp:MenuItem ImageUrl="~/images/frog.gif" Value="45" Text=""/>

    Take note that the Text property is set to "". This must be set, if you do
    not set the Text property the Value property will be used. Good Luck!

    Nathan Sokalski, Apr 16, 2010