Tab Order in Repeater ir vertical, should be horizontal

Bill Nicholson

I have a repeater control control that displays a set of records. When
I tab through the fields, the active field moves downward through the
current column. When it gets to the last record it moves to the next
column. How can I use the tab key to move through the row and then
down to the next row?

Thanks,

Bill
Cincinnati, OH USA

Eliyahu Goldin

If you make the repeater in such a way that the resulting html will be a
table, the tab order will be left-to-right top-to-bottom. If you don't
produce a table, you can ensure the proper tab order by setting the TabIndex
properties for the controls on the item template.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

Mark Rae [MVP]

If you make the repeater in such a way that the resulting html will be a
table, the tab order will be left-to-right top-to-bottom. If you don't
produce a table, you can ensure the proper tab order by setting the
TabIndex properties for the controls on the item template.

tabIndex is not cross-browser compatible...

The W3C DOM (and, therefore, most modern browsers) limits the tabIndex
property to anchors, areas, buttons, inputs, objects, selects and textareas.

It is only IE5 and above which supports tabIndex for all renderable
elements...

It is not supported at all by any version of Netscape...

Bill Nicholson

I still don't get it.

My repeater control has one table in it and that table has one row
with multiple columns.
I have the tab order set correctly, left to right, but the browser
still tabs top to bottom, then back to the top of the next column,
then top to bottom of that column, etc.

[...]

I don't know how to interpret your reply. Are you suggesting a
solution?

Mark Rae [MVP]

I still don't get it.

My repeater control has one table in it and that table has one row
with multiple columns.
I have the tab order set correctly, left to right, but the browser
still tabs top to bottom, then back to the top of the next column,
then top to bottom of that column, etc.

Like I said, tabIndex is not guaranteed to work in all versions of all
browsers...

What browser are you using?

How are you constructing the repeater?

Does View Source show the tabIndex properties correctly set for each <td>
rendered by the repeater...?

Bill Nicholson

I am using IE 6.0.02900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr_070227-2254, pretty standard
browser.
I am constructing the repeater with one table in it and one row in
that table.
I have the tab order set correctly, left to right, but the browser
still tabs top to bottom, then back to the top of the next column,
then top to bottom of that column, etc.
View / Source shows that the HTML has been rendered to tab down the
column, back up to the top of the next column, down that column, etc.

I think I posted all this, except the browser version, in my previous
message....

Eliyahu Goldin

View / Source shows that the HTML has been rendered to tab down the
column, back up to the top of the next column, down that column, etc.
How do you now? Do you set the tabindex attribute?

What exactly is in your itemtemplate? It should cointan only <tr>..</tr>,
not <table>..</table>. With that you shouldn't need any tabindex.

Can you show the markup for the repeater?

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant