    jonefer Guest

    I'm a total Dotnet beginner, is there any example for creating the same kind
    of Tabbed control for Windows Forms - such as in Yahoo mail?

    jonefer, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Look for samples of the Repeater and MultiView controls in MSDN. The
    repeater can be used to build your tabs, and the multiview can be used as
    your tab pages with the same effect.

    Keith Patrick, Dec 11, 2005

  3. jonefer

    jonefer Guest

    Thank you. I looked through MSDN, but can't find MultiView.
    Would you mind describing for me how you would do this with the repeater
    control (I don't expect a totally coded example, I just need more
    familiarization with this tool)- I've always pictured this tool as an
    alternative to a data grid - kind of like a "continuous form view" in MS
    Access when viewing multiple records.

    I have a simple member search app that I made in MS Access and I want to
    convert it to a browser app. - It seems fairly simple because I'm only
    searching on 3 fields in a basically flat table.

    jonefer, Dec 11, 2005
  4. jonefer

    Guest

    Here's a multiview...

    <asp:MultiView id="mvMyPage" runat="server" ActiveViewIndex="0">
    <asp:View id="vSelection" runat="server">
    </asp:View>
    <asp:View id="vData" runat="server">
    </asp:View>
    </asp:MultiView>

    Your codebehind works like this...
    mvMyPage.SetActiveView(vData);

    It's really simple...

    Avoid the Wizard control at ANY cost...it does nothing but put tables
    in your code. Tables are evil for layouts. The MultiView provides a
    very clean, very manageable, and very customizable way to have more
    than one "page" in a page in parallel.

    That said...sounds like you want to check out the FormsView. I've
    hated all versions of Visual Studio from 4.0 till today...except VS2005
    is AWESOME. Let intellisense help you with the FormsView. You can
    also let intellisense help you with the coding against the MultiView,
    but there's not much more to it than what I just showed you.

    MSDN is loaded with this stuff. I don't mean the sometimes incomplete
    MSDN library, but the articles and columns.

    --
    David Betz
    http://www.davidbetz.net/dynamicbliss/

    , Dec 12, 2005
  5. Another thing instead of the Repeater is a variation of the TreeView. The
    reason this is such a good control for a tab-based application is that it
    can show a single level of a SiteMap (my favorite feature of ASP.Net 2.0,
    BTW), styled as "tab buttons". If you organize your sitemap in terms of of
    functional layers, your tabs (treeview with its datasource's databinding
    level set to 1 with no root) can use the sitemap as its datasource, and you
    can feed the sitemap's subtrees to a single control that reads
    hierarchicaldatasource's rather than use MultiView and have a more scaleable
    application in terms of being maintenance-free when adding content to the
    sitemap.

    Keith Patrick, Dec 12, 2005