    also, any comment/suggestions are welcome.

    thanks in advance,
    stacey

    kaibo, Dec 28, 2005

  2. kaibo wrote:

    > hi all,
    >
    > newbie here...

    ...though far from anything most newbies would design. It is rather good.

    > trying to create a nav bar for a user (using the 'sliding doors'
    > technique). i think i've got most of it worked out, but i'd really
    > like to center the whole bar on the page.
    >
    > example here:
    >
    > www.monkeymynd.com/testcr

    Personally, I like it just as it is. Consider that just about every
    application one would use that has a tabbed menu, has them
    left-justified. By centering the whole bar, you're changing it from what
    most visitors are used to seeing. And you don't have to worry about
    playing with it in narrow browsers windows. And having it jump around
    trying to center itself as people change the size of their window.

    > the .css file has the line items in the nav bar as 'float:left', and
    > changing this to 'center' obviously throws the nav bar off. so, i'm
    > not sure how to just center the whole bar.

    I spent a few minutes playing with your CSS, but didn't come up with
    anything that did what you (shouldn't) want...

    > also, any comment/suggestions are welcome.

    Consider changing all your font sizes to percentages
    body {font-size: 100%; }
    so IE users with poor vision can resize - and drop the Verdana font.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/verdana.html

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 28, 2005

  3. kaibo

    meltedown Guest

    kaibo wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > newbie here...trying to create a nav bar for a user (using the 'sliding
    > doors' technique). i think i've got most of it worked out, but i'd really
    > like to center the whole bar on the page.
    >
    > example here:
    >
    > www.monkeymynd.com/testcr
    >
    > the .css file has the line items in the nav bar as 'float:left', and
    > changing this to 'center' obviously throws the nav bar off. so, i'm not sure
    > how to just center the whole bar.
    >
    > also, any comment/suggestions are welcome.
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    > stacey

    change
    #header ul {
    margin:0;
    padding:10px 10px 0;
    list-style:none;
    }

    to:
    header ul {
    margin:0 auto;
    padding:10px 0;
    list-style:none;
    width:44em;
    }

    meltedown, Dec 29, 2005
  4. kaibo

    kaibo Guest

    that works...thanks. also, i tried using the same logic to center the sub
    menu beneath the tabs, but it doesn't seem to be working. what do i need to
    change?

    kaibo, Dec 29, 2005