TabIndex/TabOrder Rules

Guest

Hi I have three questions about the Tab Order that's rendered by default on
an ASPX page:

1. On a page that's all ordered HTML (instead of absolute positioning),
shouldn't the default be that tab order goes by it's order in the page
itself? I'm having a strange situation where tab order is jumping down to the
bottom of the page and then back up to a higher text box in my form. Could
this have something to do with the fact that some of the boxes are in a Panel
object?

2. On a page that's all done with Absolute Positioning for form fields, how
is the default Tab Order done? How does the page figure out what the tab
order is? And is there any way to change it so that the tab order will go
top-left to bottom-right without my having to manually go in and set the
TabIndex for every field?

3. When a page has a mix of absolute positioning and ordered positioning,
how does default tab order work for that kind of page?

Thanks.

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting.

As for the web page tabindexing question you mentioned, based on my
experience, there is no definite rules for web page(html) if you haven't
explicitly configure tabindex on them and this is specific to the target
client browser. However, as for flow layout html page, the tab index
should followup left to right, top to bottom sequence in a flow layout html
page. Of course some container elements may break this because container
element such as "<div>" can also
have tabindex and focus.

HTML standard support "tabindex" attribute to specify tabindex for html
elements on html form:

#17.11.1 Tabbing navigation
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.11.1

And in ASP.NET, for those server control (which support tabindex at
client-side) , we can configure its "TabIndex" property

#WebControl.TabIndex Property
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.webcontro
l.tabindex(VS.80).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Thanks. Just one more little question: Is there a way to explicitly set a
control as not being a tab stop at all? Just for Internet Explorer would be
fine!

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the response Alex,

I haven't found any definite document on this , however, I've just
performed some test on the ASP.NET 2.0 page in IE. And if I put a negative
number (like -1, -2 ...) in the WebControl.Tablndex, it will never get
focus. This could be a trick you can use.

Hope this also helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead